Quarter mile take off.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

this is completely FALSE.

shorter gear = faster acceleration.

if you're spinning, you need more traction, not a longer gear box.

Gears multiply torque; when you have so much torque that you're spinning the wheels, you should go with a taller gear.

ie: Bisi and transzex also talked about this on D-series.org. Most of the D-series have a 3.25:1 first, while the CG has a 3.181. Bisi or Transzex stated that first is much better, but the transmission won't fit regular D-series without an adapter and custom axles. Also, IIRC, Bisi's car uses a custom transmission that has a much taller first than the stock D-series. The reason behind this was to reduce the amount of shifting AND reduce torque output to the wheels(to reduce wheelspin).

Keeping your RPMs in the peak powerband=faster acceleration.

There's a reason many V8 guys upgrade to numerically lower FD's. Hell, even some of the B-series guys have traction issues with 4.7 and 4.9 FDs.

I couldn't find that thread, but found this on H-T where he explains it well:
roadrunner@HT said:
However, If you have a really short first gear, what good is it if you don't have the traction? After all, the most accelerative force you can get is right before the wheels begin to slip, right? Assuming as in a high powered vehicle, a taller first gear allows you to better balance accelerative force with grip. Then, if you can get the same accelerative force with a taller gear (remember, the shorter geared setup will be slipping) you be shifting at a higher speed and further down the track. Now the trick is to choose gears that would complement that taller first gear by keeping the engine near it's power peak.

ya, in alcohol dragsters they use a syntrifical clutch that basicly keeps the wheels at that point right before they slip, and the engine in the rpm for the most power. Also they never have to shift. That was part of my theory. If I can almost lose traction in second, then what is the point of first?

ya, in alcohol dragsters they use a syntrifical clutch that basicly keeps the wheels at that point right before they slip, and the engine in the rpm for the most power. Also they never have to shift. That was part of my theory. If I can almost lose traction in second, then what is the point of first?
you're an idiot. are you totally missing everything everybody is telling you??? wow, you ALMOST lost traction in second. i can break 'em loose in 4th with my nissan and i don't have traction issues when i launch. it's because i know how to drive.

practice, get an lsd, get better tires, and learn how to do it. if you can't get a good launch in 1st, you wont' get a better launch in 2nd. it's that simple. cut and dry, 2nd is not better to start off in than 1st. i bet you $500 if you launch your car in 2nd gear, i could get a faster 60' time if i drove YOUR car and i started in 1st. plain and simple.

Last edited:
you're an idiot. are you totally missing everything everybody is telling you??? wow, you can ALMOST lost traction in second. i can break 'em loose in 4th with my nissan and i don't have traction issues when i launch. it's because i know how to drive.

practice, get an lsd, get better tires, and learn how to do it. if you can't get a good launch in 1st, you wont' get a better launch in 2nd. it's that simple. cut and dry, 2nd is not better to start off in than 1st. i bet you $500 if you launch your car in 2nd gear, i could get a faster 60' time if i drove YOUR car and i started in 1st. plain and simple.
:werd: again

wow, I'm arguing with you on an online forum, over a stupid topic. I said I was gonna try it both ways, there is gonna be a testntune feb. 4. I can keep the tires from spinning when I don't just mash the gas and pop the clutch but I was wondering about other possible ways to make ur launch more consistant.

The only one I could find was like 800. Not much selection for the accord trans.

hmmm, somebody told me that. If I did that, I could probly build a completely new F22 setup with everything built. I was going to do that before but I didn't have the time or money. F22a1's go for like 150 bucks no transmission.

I can keep the tires from spinning when I don't just mash the gas and pop the clutch but I was wondering about other possible ways to make ur launch more consistant.
this is why i told you to launch at a lower rpm and feather the clutch. you can't expect to drive easy on a car when you race.
The only one I could find was like 800. Not much selection for the accord trans.
it's because accords aren't meant to be raced. get a civic if you want to race. more parts, cheaper, lighter, there are a lot of advantages.

or, you could stop drag racing and learn how to turn and do some real racing. :)

Back