question about a sold car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Skydive2144

so wednesday night i sold my 94 civic with a B18C1 swap. I pulled the motor out of a friends car that he fliped over. it sat for about 2 years after the accident before i took it. the motor was pretty dirty and has sold dirt and such built up on it but never seemed to leak anything. i sent the person who bought it pictures of the engine and he asked what the dirt was and if it was leaking oil. i said i didnt think it was leaking, it was just dirt building up. so anyway, wednesday night he drove down to me from 2.5 hrs away. i met him in a parking lot, it was dark outside, he took one look around the car, looked at the engine, didnt even want to drive it. he paid me $2100 for it, i signed over the title to him, signed the bill of sale for him, and i made him fill out a 2nd bill of sale so i just had a record of who it went to. so anyway, this morning he called me and was very mad. he told me the engine blew. then he siad that the engine was leaking oil and that i lied to him. so he said i bought a new engine for it so i want you to pay me for half of it. i said no way thats not my problem you bought the car from me i never gave you any warenty or anything like that. so my question is, can he legally get me to do anything about the engine going? one thing that seems really sketchy is he called me and told me the engine had just went and then he said he bought another motor. so within a matter of a couple hours he blew the motor and boguht another one. and if he was guna call me why not call me when it blew? it seems to me like he is lieing and just wants money. so when i refused to pay him any money he said i can take you to court about this because of a "lemon law" does this make sence to anyone?

I can really use some imput on this, its really pissing me off right now.

Lemon laws are United States state laws that remedies to consumers for cars that repeatedly fail to meet certain standards of quality and performance. These niche market cars are called lemons. The federal lemon law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) protects citizens of all states. State lemon laws vary by state and may not necessarily cover used or leased cars. The rights afforded to consumers by lemon laws may exceed the warranties expressed in purchase contracts. Lemon law is the common nickname for these laws, but each state has different names for the laws and acts.
In California, lemon laws cover anything mechanical, as do the federal lemon laws. The federal lemon law also provides that the warranter may be obligated to pay your attorney fees if you prevail in a lemon law suit, as do most state lemon laws.

If you knowingly purchase a car in "as is" condition you accept the defects and void your rights under the lemon law.

Looks like as long as you didn't offer him a warranty, you're good. I'm not a lawyer, I just looked that up on wikipedia.com. Yes, it does sound a little sketchy.

i never got anything signed fro his saying sold as is, but isnt that just assumed when buying an old used car from a private seller? its in CT by the way

10 years ago in CT if you bought a car for I think under 1500 it was considered as is. Google CT's DMV website and start looking on there.

In Texas the lemon law only applies to dealer/new sales. Check the laws in your area. I doubt that you have any legal obligation to this guy. It sounds sketchy to me.

he probably drove the piss out of it and blew the motor and is now blaming you .. fuck him..

right on the CT bill of sale form, there's as "AS IS" check box. did you not check it?

there was no as is on the bill of sale. here is a link to the one i printed out and used.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/H31.pdf

it really pisses me off. the car wasnt in amazing condition but no where near the engine blowing. i really dont think the engine even blew. he called me around 2 in the afternoon and told be it blew and he got a new engine for a grand and wanted me to pay for half of it. there are 3 things that make me think that. first is he just sold a civic with a blown head gasket because he could not fix it himself but now all the sudden he ca swap motors. second is why not call me right when the engine blew if he was going to. why wait till he bought a motor. and lastly if he just blew it this moring where the hell did he get a new motor so fast. you dont walk into autozone and pick up an engine off the shelf. so what do you guys think. should i just ignnore all his calls? the only thing that worries me is if he is this sketchy what is to stop him from coming to fuck with my house of something since he had my adress off the title i singed over to him.

the only thing that worries me is if he is this sketchy what is to stop him from coming to fuck with my house of something since he had my adress off the title i singed over to him.
:buyanm: I mean gun.

I don't know what to tell you about communicating with the guy.

tell him to fuck off
hes trying to scam you
there is no warranty stated or implied on that BOS
tell him the sale was as is
the car ran fine when he drove off with it
stop dealin with him directly
if he wants to persue this further tell him to take you to court

fuck no !! A used car doesnt fall in the lemon law. You sold it as is.

tell him to fuck off- it if was me, I would tell him the deal. No your not getting shit from me. If you want it , take me to court. He should have atleast drove the damn car. Looked it over a lil better. I think he is trying to mess with you , so tell him if he wants anything from you , TAKE IT TO COURT, and if he is trying to pull something over on you. He most likely will not pursue it.

Back