Question about a toyota corolla fx16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
Hey a buddy of mine just purchased an 87 corolla fx16 and while driving it home it we think it blew a head gasket. We are going to take a closer look at it tomorrow and see what is exactly wrong. I have done a little research and it seems that the car has the same engine as the mr-2 but I have not found anything concrete. do any of you know the engine code or know if the mr2 and the fx16 have the same motor. I honestly don't know alot about the toyotas so any info or pointers to site would be a huge help.

chester

Yes the FX16 and the MR2 share the 4AGE with the exception of the supercharged MR2's which have a 4AGZE

88-91 Corolla GTS' (AE92) also have a slightly different version of the 4AGE. 90-91 AE92's have a smallport non-tvis motor which alot pf people favor.

I also have an 87 FX16 thats in the middle of an4AGE 20v silvertop swap from an AE101 Levin. Its basicly Toyotas version of the B16 (1.6, twin cam, VVT, 160 crank hp) except it came with 20 valves and factory ITB's :)

my car:

c3bb0113.jpg

my swap:

fa25c423.jpg

nice, do you have any helpful tech sites that I could browse. The guy that bought the one I am talking about got it basically because it was better on gas than his 4x4. I have a feeling that if he has to stick alot of cash into it he will probably get rid of it. I might buy it or maybe part it out if it becomes too much of a pita. like I stated before i am fairly ignorant to the toyota scene. is this car desirable or in demand?

its desirable to some, they're actually pretty rare...the problem is, not alot of people know about them

It also doesn't help that they were only made for 2 years.

oh, and theres 0 aftermarket support for them.

club4ag is a decent site and I use twincam.org alot too (twincam is an Aussie website...they have a similar car that was alot more popular over there)

I mean, if you're patient, have the time, some money and some ingenuity, it *can* be an awesome little car...I mean, they only weigh in at about 1900lbs and the swaps are semi-straight forward.

+ points on a stock FX16/ FX16 GTS (the GTS has color coded bumpers, and the sideskirts/wheelflares):
lightweight
decent power (the stock 4AGE was rated at 108hp)
4 wheel disc
front/rear sway bars
a factory USTB

that is interesting that there is not that much aftermarket support for the car due (as far as I can tell) the fact that it is the same engine as the mr2 non supercharged. I can already see just from bumming around that exterior wise there is little support. the interior on this car is pretty clean and there is some rust on the bottom of most of the panels but all in all it is a good little car.

there is some stuff available for the stock 4AGE....turbos, headers, cam gears, cams, ect.

theres nothing for my motor though (the 20V's) :(

I only swapped mine because its needed rings soon and rather than rebuild, I got the 20v pretty cheap

Theres basicly no real aftermarket suspension setups for the car which sucks in a big way. Intrax and Suspension Techniques make springs, and the only struts available are KYB GR-2's

Whiteline makes some nice stuff for it, but they're in Austrailia

Back