question about Apexi-Vafc vtec controller

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redwidow

Hi guys, i am thinking of buying the Apexi-Vafc Vtec controller for my 01 honda prelude. I heard alot of people saying that if i set the Vtec lower than the factory, the car will run slow as hell, but i don't know, is that true.... or how does it really work? i am not really good with the "electrical setting" stuff. Please give me your best input :worthy: , Thanks for your time

yes thats definatley true i tried it with with mine.i set it as low as it will go and you here it kick but it sounds like the cars boggin and the at factory settings it kick like it normally does.i also talked to to a friend whos sick when it comes to cars and he said you actually lose power if you set to low.his web site is b20vtec.com check it out.

if you drop vtec down a little but it wont hurt - like factory setting for SOHC is 5500 and if you drop it to 5300 5200 it wont hurt but anymore you will bog

your ideal vtec crossover is going to be slightly different for every engine, obviously honda probably picked the best point for a stock motor.

How you decide is do 2 dyno pulls, one with only the low lobes, one with the vtec lobes, and then you look at the torque curves. Where they cross is where the VTEC crossover should be set to, exactly.

The lower you set the VTEC, the shittier it kicks. The higher you set it, the harder it kicks in, but you have less of it. I wouldn't change it more than a thousand RPM's either way, it just depends on what your setup is.

Originally posted by fastintegra@Nov 13 2003, 03:20 AM
yes thats definatley true i tried it with with mine.i set it as low as it will go and you here it kick but it sounds like the cars boggin and the at factory settings it kick like it normally does.i also talked to to a friend whos sick when it comes to cars and he said you actually lose power if you set to low.his web site is b20vtec.com check it out.

how do you figure you loose power? 1/4 mile times might be different, but you wont loose any power... your hp curve will be a little different (if its set low, the hp increase curve will be longer, if its set hi, the curv will be shorter)

Not sure what kind of motor this is going on, but my vtec (b16a) kicks in at 4k rpms(as apposed to 5200) and im almost positive with the same car, same motor, and same mods, same tranny... my car would come out on top in the 1/4 mile (forgetting the ability of the driver).... what your saying just isnt making sense

How could it make less hp?

i dont know exactly how to explain it thats just what i was told by a friend and i have to believe him cause like i said earlier he sick when it comes to cars.check his site out b20vtec.com

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Nov 13 2003, 10:23 PM
your ideal vtec crossover is going to be slightly different for every engine, obviously honda probably picked the best point for a stock motor.

How you decide is do 2 dyno pulls, one with only the low lobes, one with the vtec lobes, and then you look at the torque curves. Where they cross is where the VTEC crossover should be set to, exactly.

that is how you determine the crossover point. There is no guess and check. That is the formula

does any one here have one of these install in their car that turn out bogging or you just being told by friends. ChrisSIR turn out good on his ride but what about others

I APPRECIATED FOR ALL YOURS INPUT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOD.

Originally posted by redwidow@Nov 15 2003, 04:18 AM
does any one here have one of these install in their car that turn out bogging or you just being told by friends. ChrisSIR turn out good on his ride but what about others

I APPRECIATED FOR ALL YOURS INPUT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOD.

I dont have one on my car, vtec just kicks in at 4 for me.... sorry for the mis understanding.... a buddy of mine is useing one on his Crv-tec (JDM b20 block with b16a head) and he loves it.... the hard part is tuneing it i suppose, cant just Butt dyno it, you have to spend some $$ to get it tuned right.... BTW, its bad to set your vtec crossover TOO low....

Back