Question about concerning OBD for motor swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cuda

i wanna put a B18C (TypeR) into my 94 EX Coupe....

i do know that the B18C (GSR) drops right in the car, (both OBD1) and all that stuff...

since the TypeR is an OBD2, does it drop in like the GSR (same procedures and such to do the swap)...?

AND since the motor is OBD2, do all i need to do is just get a conversion harness that so that i can connect the OBD2 ECU to the OBD1 car...?? or can i just chip the p28 or something...?? because that sounds almost TOO simple...

please help my confused self....

an OBD2-OBD1 jumper harness and wire the secondaries (same as a GSR)..I'd use the type-R ECU

everything else is straight forward

i have an 01 JDM ITR engine in my 93 del sol
you can use a USDM ITR, Del sol VTEC, or GSR harness and it will be completely plug and play
or you can do what i did and modify your stock harness to fit the ITR engine... all you have to do is swap the plugs for the injectors, distributor, and alternator (use the plugs off the JDM engine harness)... then just lengthen a few wires for some plugs that dont reach... (use wire from the JDM harness) i think there was 3 that had to be extended... took me about an hour to solder and wrap everything back up... looks factory and its been running fine for almost 4 years
im running off a chipped P28 and a VAFC, i have had no problems
there are other options out there but the P28 i really feel is the best option as long as you get it tuned to your engine
before i tuned my P28 i was running VERY rich and losing a bunch of power my VTEC engagement point was also way off.... i gained 12hp at peak and about 25 in the mid range after tuning

you have an EX (same setup as my del sol Si) so you will not need to wire up for VTEC... the ITR doesnt use secondaries so again nothing to wire up there... and the P28 doesnt know what to do with a knock sensor, so nothing to wire up there either (running without a knock sensor is not a big deal as long as you are tuned and use good gas... if you are going to be a cheap asshole and try running 89 or 87 in an ITR engine you should be kicked in the nuts anyway... PREMIUM ONLY!)

another question that im confused about...

i heard there was this guy that has a B18C-R engine and he "converted it to OBD1".... what the heck does that mean...???

Quoted post[/post]]
another question that im confused about...

i heard there was this guy that has a B18C-R engine and he "converted it to OBD1".... what the heck does that mean...???

some people switch the distributor and injectors out for OBD-1 shit then run it off an OBD-1 ECU... you dont have to do that though (why replace newer equipment with old shit)
you can simply replace the plugs on the OBD-1 harness with the OBD-2 plugs and run it off of an OBD-1 ECU
or you can get an OBD-2 engine harness from a 96+ GSR or ITR and plug that in to your harness at the shock towers and run it off of an OBD-1 ECU

really the only thing you have to do to "convert an OBD-2 engine to OBD-1" is run it off an OBD-1 ECU

Back