Question about distributor o-ring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UberNewf

Was told to replace this and quoted $70. Part only $2.50 and just a few bolts, so figured I'd DIY. Bit confused as to where the actual rubber ring goes though. Does it get embedded in a slot in the mechanisim itself, or fit right up against the housing (as pictured in red below)?

This is on a 1991 Honda Accord, SOHC 2.2l (in case it matters <g>).

oring.jpg

Last edited:
just realized you got that pic from my thread.. haha... yea.. just to the right of the red line you made is the o-ring

I did gab that pic from you. :) Hope that's OK.

Just to the right? Does it fit in a groove at all or bang up against the distributor "plate" (I guess). Umm, to the left of the red line?

Am I being clear or just more consfusing? <g>

there is a little groove.. the o-ring is actually still there in that pic.. just to the right of the red line

Crap. I was afraid of that. I installed it last night right up against the plate, but it bugged me that this may be the wrong position. Guess I was right.

Oh well - at least now I know what needs to come off in order to fix this, so the second time should be faster. :)

Thanks for the help.

if you've been running it much you'll probably have oil everywhere under the dizzy

I just did it last night and commuted to work this AM (20 min). Accordng to your steps I am thinking the old ring is still in there, so it's probably not much worse than it was before (there was already oil all around - hence the impetus to replace).

probably just need to slide it in place if it hasnt gone there by itself already.. goodluck...

just for referance, i had the same problems but never went to get it fixed. Eventualy the dizzy got flooded with oil and my cars proformance was horrible. The car had bucking, missing, and was running real rich. My best advice would be to diagnose any oil leak asap before its too late and your spending $150 on a new dizzy.

Back