Question About Horsepower Loss?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 94 JDM GSR with a Skunk2 Intake Manifold and a generic short ram air intake in my 92 Civic CX Hatchback. I have drove my car running straight header with NO exhaust and then i drive it now with my stock 1.5 or 1.75" exhaust and i feel a pretty big power loss, my question is how much hp do you think im losing due to having a completly stock exhaust?

Also what size piping do you think i should go with when i get it all re-done?(P.S. I plan on forced induction in a couple years)

THANKS!!!

No clue, maybe 50, once you put some apc vinyl you should gain it back...................

seriously, get a 2.25"-2.5" mandrel bent header back system and your good to go. Going NA of course.

Milan

I did the same with mine B16, ran it through the stock VX exhaust. It was horrible, but yea like Milan said, some 2.25''-2.5'' will do you some good.

With boost, you want 2.75 or 3" piping...In the meantime, get a full CAI, the difference between the two is night and day--the short ram is basically just sucking up warm air floating around in the engine bay.

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 31 2003, 01:27 AM
No clue, maybe 50, once you put some apc vinyl you should gain it back...................

HAhahahah ....... You are My Hero ...
Like He said Man... The APC vinyl Adds a Good 120 hp At the wheels and 53-124 Ftlbs ... Of torque......... But Depending on the Status Of your car. (Daily Driver or Track Car) You probabally wanna go with 2.25's.... That is a nice Generic number for an Engine that Fuckin Breathes.......

what Afipunk21 said.......a tru cai..........u will definteley feel a major diffy man in tha breathing of ur car!!!!!!!! short ram is more direct and has a better response time but ur still suxin in warm 2 hot air in ur engine bay!!!!!!!!!!

on ur piping tho.....i say 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 piping on ur ride if ur goin n/a dawg!!!!!!!!! also i don't kno how strict ur emissions r but running headers str8 2 tha exhaust open it up a lot more also!!!!!!!!! in my state we have no emissions so most of us do this!!!!!!!!

:D B) :worthy:

dido with what AFi said if turbo then larger like 2.75+so the turbo can spool up. I always say for higher reving NA apps to go with 2.5, get a header that has a 2.5 collector along with some generic testpipe. Or go with my favorite setup for NA

SMSP header
2.5" all the way back with no resonator
ES oval muff (flat black , nice and tiiite, lol)

Milan

obviously almost any exaust setup wont have the power of straight headers,youll still feel a loss...engine braking...right?

thats what contained exaust does....engine brake,just jike semi's,any exaust back pressures at least a little thereby not letting all the gases escape the cylinders in-turn not letting as much o2 in on the next rotation=less power,str8 headers are always more powerful cause no back pressures.now I am kinda new to the small engines but an engine is a engine,am I right,maybe the exausts on these honda's are perfect but mine isnt and I dobut any exaust flows completely open,but again I could be wrong

your cam,not backpressure, should? control your valves.and a header still has a little backpressure.

Are you two talking about "straight pipe" from the header to the muffler? ie: no cat.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 2 2003, 12:51 AM
Are you two talking about "straight pipe" from the header to the muffler? ie: no cat.

no,I was just stating that anything,even headers create a little backpressure so any exaust will seem like a powerloss if you've been driving w/just headers due to increased backpressure,but as I stated this has been my experience with deisel semi's,v-8's,motorcycles,havent played w/my honda exaust system much yet but cant imagine a difference...........basicly I was trying to explain powerloss from engine braking.I would dig your prospective,I generaly trust and like your comments :D

Back