Question about Oil Filter Relocation Kit install...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
So I'm installing a Summit Racing Oil Filter Relocation Kit for easy oil changes in the future and such(easy oil line for a turbo later, maybe). The only question I have is, does it matter the direction I mount the filter? I want to install it right next to my intake right behind the passenger side headlight. But to mount it there I can't have it perfectly vertical or horizontal. Would it be alright if it was on say a 45' angle?

Naa, its forced through there no matter what angle its at. I'd go vertical there though, or you're going to spill oil down inside your fender every time you change the oil on it. Also, a heat source next to your intake?

relocated oil filters dont get very hot...

i can still grab my filter to change the oil even after the car has been run hard.

Yes, it does matter which way you mount it. The oil filter has been designed to be directional, just ensure the direction is followed.

Well, let's just say I "wasted" about 4 quarts of oil and nearly seized my engine. It's running good now though.

Yes, please explain.

Unless you forgot to hook up something, and ran 4 quarts onto the garage floor, in that case don't.
It actually ran onto the street in front of my house. Everything was installed and hooked up right. I triple checked. At first I thought the adapter wasn't on tight enough, some how. I tightened it, filled her up again, and it ran great. Around town last night, to work this morning, to Rutgers after to pick up my brother....

Then I dumped 4 more quarts of oil onto Livingston Ave. in New Brunswick out of nowhere. From the adapter again. Had it towed to my little sister's sorority house(also at Rutgers), took off the adapter, put on a stock filter, filled her up, and again it's running fine... ~$200 bucks later for a basic oil change. Obviously it has something to do with Summit's kit, but how do I go about this?

-Best case scenario would be they cover some, if not all, of the expenses their kit caused, and I get a relocation kit that works.

-Worst case, they tell me to go shove it and I'm out all this money to still have the stock filter.

And frankly, I can't imagine my engine is in stellar shape after doing that twice. This sucks......

im sure your engine is fine unless you drove it for 100 miles or so.

also, did you teflon EVERYTHING?

So, the kit just leaked? All gaskets were installed, and everything was teflon'd?

No matter what anyone ever tells you, you really do need to use some teflon tape on the threads. All threads. No matter what.

EDIT: Your engine should be fine, as long as you didn't rape it or drive it for long. You probably just put a couple thousand miles worth of wear per mile driven with no oil.

I tefloned everything except parts that the instructions specifically said not to. The thread that went into the remote filter bracket that attached to the filter and the thread into the adapter to connect it to the block. Although both of them leaked, one dripped, one projectile vomitted. But i believe the vomitting was an O-ring's fault, not the thread. But IDK.

Im confused. It leaked from where the adapter screws to the block, or at the the remote mount that holds the filter?

Im confused. It leaked from where the adapter screws to the block(projectile), or at the the remote mount that holds the filter(dripped)?

Then ur prally right about it being the O-ring at the block, but what part did it drip from at the mount? The hose barb, the feed or return line threads, around the filter?

Around the filter, but it may not even have been a legit leak. When it threw up the firs time i pulled the oil filter to see if the oil even made it to it. It had but I got a little on the filter and the mount.

So WTF is up with the O-ring? It looks absolutely fine.

Around the filter, but it may not even have been a legit leak. When it threw up the firs time i pulled the oil filter to see if the oil even made it to it. It had but I got a little on the filter and the mount.

So WTF is up with the O-ring? It looks absolutely fine.

Hmm thats weird. If theres no nicks in that O-ring Id lay a straight edge across that adapter in a few different directions, to check its flatness. You could do the same on the remote mount too. Maybe the gasket on the filter was messed up tho?

Crude but will help me explain....
untitled9.JPG

C is the block. A is the adapter. B is the universal adapter piece to make the adapter fit the block(I got 4 different sized ones. Same size at one end(adapter side), different sizes at the block end).

Now here is one thing that just came to me. Both times it puked I removed the whole assembly(2 pieces) from the block. A twists right off. Both times i needed a wrench to get off B. This makes me think the problem lies between A and B. Not the O-ring. A is not staying on B and therefore the O-ring is more likely being pulled away from the block, not giving way. Do you think this could be the issue? And if it is, could some lock tight or something solve my issue? I'm just spit balling here.

Another thing, TurboMirage said that his remote filter doesn't get very hot. Mine did. Not to the point of burning me, but much hotter than I thought it would get. What could be causing this? IDK...

Back