Question about P13

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hockeymann44

Hey

I have a question about the chips sold on eBay, claiming to be made by Spoon and other reputable companies. A lot of them explain a switchover for VTEC at 5500rpm, with a redline of 9200rpm. Now I'm no expert, but is that safe on stock internals to have a redline of 9200? Thing is, I'm purchasing a P13 ecu from a friend, his is automatic, I need manual hence I need a manual chip. I don't want to purchase this on eBay if it's not a safe combo. Anyone with some insight?

i don't think its the chip that you need to worry about

i know in p28's its only one resistor or capacitor that needs to be removed to convert from auto to manual...

i think your ecu would also need to be socketed to accept one of those chips...

but plain and simple... don't chip it

9200 is not safe for a stock valve train, and thats a lot of mass in the lower end to spin that high as well...
the "chips" will more than likely just dump too much fuel...
definately not worth it

i would try the auto ecu and see if it throws a code, which it probably will... then either have it converted by someone who knows there shit, or buy a manual P13...

do not get an egay chip...

p13's don't take to chipping well in the first place.

furthermore, a CHIP will NOT solve the AUTO->Manual problem. i don't know how the p13's do it, but on most other obd1 ecus, a circuit on the ecu physically needs to be cut on the board. chip or not... auto is an auto, manual is a manual.

just score an OEM un-chipped manual p13 ecu. you'll thank me later. tell your friend to throw that up on ebay.

alright, then let me ask this....

If I were to use this ecu temporarily till I can get my hands on a manual p13 ecu, would anything be affected? I don't care if all I get is a code and that's it. But if it will affect the engine, I'll have to reconsider.

not sure...

but a manual p28 will start you and put you around town... just don't try to floor it or rev it up high (its fuel maps are way too lean for it)

p28s are everywhere...

I love how everyone SEEMS to know the answers but compares everything to a P28. At any rate, here is the information you want.

1- 9200 RPM is way too high for a H22 engine
2- The program controls the auto trans, however....

* if you're getting a P13 ecu, make sure it's not the ATS version. If it is, the ECU will be useless on a manual car.

** if the P13 is a JDM model (37820-P13- "000", "050", "051", "900", "901") then it is easy to make it work properly for a USA manual car.

Ebay "chips" are usually P28 reburns labeled for anything they want to sell. Don't trust it. I used to sell programs on ebay, but stopped because there are too many ignorant buyers out there that think they can just drop it in and it will work.

Do your homework get the real thing. There are a lot of us out there that know how to do it right, all you need to do is ask.

Back