Question about Sk2 Chipped ecu in Mild Built ls/vt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tnsxsear

Okay let me first state my setup so everyone can have an understanding of what I have.
99 LS Block 11.5:1 Compression
Jdm b16 p30 pistons
ARP Bolts around
00 b16a2 Head
CTR Intake Cam
Skunk2 Manifold
ITR TB
RC 310injectors
Hondata Manifold gasket
Iceman CAI
Toms Racing 4-1 Header
s4c tranny
ITR Flywheel
Clutchmasters Clutch
MSD SCI,Cap,Coil
Apex-i Vafc

All in a 98 civichatch still running obd2. Im runing a 98 gsr ecu and its giving me codes for secondary o2 sensor and crank angle sensor (since im using an ls block)

I recently bought an obd2-1 conversion harness and a Skunk2 Chipped p28. Will this benefit me in any way power wise? And does any1 have the exact specifications of this chip. On this ecu, it says it has a 10k rpm limit. But im only going to 8k. What tuning measures should i take, should I advance the intake 2 degrees? Any help will be appreciated. -

i just recently swapped over to obd1 as well. it is supposed to give you a few more hp but i cant say for sure if its true or not since i did other mods at the same time. As for advancing the cam timing, that should ONLY be done on a dyno.

the skunk2 chips run VERY rich... you will NEED to get that fucker tuned with a VAFC or Hondata if you want to make any power and get more than 10mpg

the only real advantages to the chipped ECUs is the raised or removed rev limit

Skunk2 = Mugen

10k is too high for your engine. 8k is good. I can only guess that your VTEC is around 4800 rpm.

I would say you need a different program. If you're interested, contact me and I can send you a program I made for a 12:1 LS/VTEC with a GSR head & Skunk2 manifold. Runs beyond great and I can adjust the redline to suit your needs.

AMM has it 100% right. Replace that garbage chip with something a little more sane and you'll be in good shape. I'd kinda worry about the Skunk2 chip detonating in the low end. Most of the high-comp LS/Vtecs I've played with (an 11.8 and a 12.5) were both really picky when running on pump gas. The 12.5 was knocking on a stock GSR program - hate to think what a Skunk2 would have done.

you think i can get by with it for a few days and trim it down with the VAFC and fjo wideband?

if you have a wideband and a vafc,,, go to town and tune it yourself... try to get the a/f near 13.0:1 for a good baseline

I'm going to have to disagree here.

The TIMING not fuel is what will give you issues.

You can be rich as shit but if you run as much timing advance as the skunk2 program does, you could very well have big issues.

Also, everyone forgets what happens when you play with the VAFC...
The VAFC is NOT a magic ECU. The VAFC is a piggyback - it works by altering signals sent to the ECU so that the ECU responds differently. Why do I bring this up? How it works has great bearing on how your motor will respond to using it!

Specifically, the VAFC plays around with the MAP sensor input, as a function of RPM. Look at a ECU table for a skunk2 program (or almost any program for that matter) and you will see that as load (MAP sensor voltage input) increases, timing is progressively retarded. Why am I bringing this up? Tuning with the VAFC doesn't just change your air fuel ratio - it changes your timing too. If you "lean out" the car with a VAFC, you are reducing the MAP sensor voltage. Reducing the MAP sensor voltage moves you left in your fuel table, decreasing the amount of fuel delivered. Reducing the MAP sensor voltage also moves you left in your timing table, advancing the timing.

Hopefully you can see how using a VAFC to lean out a skunk2 program on a high-compression motor that will probably be very finicky about timing to start with is a bad idea and you should be kind to your motor and use something more high-compression friendly to start with.

he said to get him through for a few days... with a wideband and a vafc, i think he will be able to get himself by, i also would say that ignition timing is a big part in a final tune just as you stated...

I'm remembering burning 6 chips before I had the timing retarded enough to make it up my driveway without pinging in the 12.5:1 GSR.

I don't fuck with high compression motors. Treat them with respect.

Granted, there is a HUGE difference between 11.5 and 12.5 on a honda motor, but...

Back