1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about SR20 swap??

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by Dustin_m, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

Alright I'm asking this for a buddy at work. He just got ahold of a '85 Nissan 4WD pickup that is in great condition for dirt cheap. This shit is in great condition for its age and he only paid a grand for it. Well its got the Z24 motor in it and it runs really good but isn't smog legal for here in CA because the EGR is disconnected and a couple wires aren't hooked up to the carb, yeah i know this is small shit, but whatever.

The thing is he wants to put another motor in and was thinking of an SR20. The truck has a divorced transfer case so he could still use the SR tranny, just have to modify the yoke on the driveshaft that goes the the transfer case a little. Just wondering is anyone knows if the SR20 can bolt up to that Z24 Tranny, or does it definately need to be swapped too. Also, I know that here in Cali we can get swaps ref'ed, but can an SR20DET be ref'ed or does it have to be non-turbo?

also anyone else ever done this kind of thing with a pickup. I remember on Mischief they showed a guy that had a Mighty Max 4WD with an eclipse GST motor in it and it was badass, but never seen it done with a Nissan.

2. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

damn, anybody????

3. sloazcrx

sloazcrx Senior Member

My guess is no, but that's just a guess. I don't think the sr20 is legal for the streets in Cali!

4. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

oh it isnt? i wasnt sure, never looked into what nissan swaps are legal. I guess i could ask over on nissantech, but that shits always dead as hell

5. H22AdelSol

H22AdelSol Senior Member

im sure that there is much better web forums that you can ask this question on than HondaSwap.com

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

nissantech is closed. lol

the L series is nto a k-seires. i doubt it will be a bolt in in the first place, and smog, is a whole other ball game

7. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

Hmmm, i never mentioned the K series, but whtever. Bolt in doesn't matter, cause this guy is into project shit and the harder, the better, just more fun. I am not really asking if the swap can be done, cause i know the obvious answer, yes anything can be done. My real Q was about the tranny and the smog.

anyone know anybody who has legally swapped an SR into a 240 in Cali?

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

if it doesn't matter, fuck an srsplenty

throw a 2jz int here

9. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

that would take some sreious cutting of the firewall, have you ever seen those engine bays? they are like the size of a 1st gen. crx

10. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

what i meant about the project is, it needs to be a daily driver, so it will stay 4 cyl. and he wants to ref it, but AZ registration is an option too. fuck it, if it was just to fuck around, it would be easier to throw a 350 in it, they got mount kits for the toyotas, so someone would prob. have one for a nissan

11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

RWD SR20DET = JDM only... so no, you won't be able to legally smog it in California. It's not a USDM engine setup.

12. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

mighty max takes the Starion motor, that I do know

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted