Question about the GSX-R.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
I've had the bike for a couple months now, still love it. 06 GSX-R 600 more specifically, but today as I was getting it out of the garage for a ride and started it up, I noticed it putted at first when it was starting, and that stupid oil pressure light flickered for a brief second, and then was normal. Total un-normal startup time is <1 second. But it still worries me, so throughout the day, I paid extra attention to it when it started up. Sometimes it'll do it, sometimes it won't.

I'm not a super GSX-R genius or anything, and so I turned to my Suzuki manual. The only thing I saw in there was if the digital temp gauge alternates the temperature and "FI" that there is a problem with the fuel injection, and though the bike will continue running, it should be looked at by a dealership. Also, when this happens, the low oil pressure light will stay on. The bike will do this periodically, but when I just turn the key to the off position, and back to the on, it corrects itself, I assume it has something to do with the power commander so I wasn't too worried. I also read that if the oil pressure light stays on while the bike is running, and the temperature gauge shows the temp, to turn off the bike immediately and have it taken to the dealership. It also says that the oil pressure light will illuminate when the key is on, but the engine is off, and when the engine is started, the light will go out. When the bike will do it's little "put-put," the light will "put-put" as well, for that brief millisecond. Now I get a little worried, and I plan on taking it to the dealership to have them look at it. My question though, is could that just be the bikes way of saying "hey mother fucker, my oil is getting sludgy, fucking change me," since it is due for a change anyway? I don't want to freak out over nothing, but at the same time don't want to think it's nothing and have a very big something.

Help?

Brief update: After letting it sit for 15 minutes or so, it starts up fine. Maybe it was acting funny due to engine temp?

How long was it sitting since you last rode it until you had this issue with it?

Well I changed the oil today, and put in some injector cleaner, since it is a used bike and I figured it can't hurt, and as of the past 6 hours have had no problems with it. Good to go I guess.

My friend has one on his R6 and has never had any trouble with it, but he also says its not worth the money.

Well I changed the oil today, and put in some injector cleaner, since it is a used bike and I figured it can't hurt, and as of the past 6 hours have had no problems with it. Good to go I guess.
What gas are you using ? Also.. Is it loading ? (Carbbed, overjetted : In E_SolSi terms, with thick european accent: "YOU DRIVE LIKE FUCKEENG POOSY")

I was thinking about having it tuned, because I do know that it's downloaded with a basic tune for that bike and running rich, which according to the guy who dyno'd my bike, isn't hurting it, but he said he can get a lot more power out of it. Not that I need it anyway.

And Cel, I put 93 in it. I found yesterday in my manual that it takes a minimum of 87, but I'm still putting 93 in. Loading? Uh. I don't know, it's FI?

Mine is FI too. It loads. I also have a choke to make it run.

I dunno man. All I can tell you is that my bike started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. Still looking into it. It helped when I started going to a gas station with SEPERATE pumps and hoses. When people pump their shit gas, and then I pay for the high test - I get anywhere between .7 and 1.8 gallons of their shit (And guess who pays full price?) That much gas is in their filter and hose.

And that's 20% of my tank. So 20% of my tank is crap. I prefer Sunoco, but they have the one pump and line - so I won't do it. I get Mobil downtown because they have the seperate pumps.

Hm. I don't think mine has a choke, but I'm still not sure what loading is?

I never thought of the gas thing like that. That's gay as shit, now I have to find places around here with separate pumps.

Do you have a wideband? I'd check AFR's at idle and see what they look like. That'll let you know if the PC isn't working properly.

Hm. I don't think mine has a choke, but I'm still not sure what loading is?

I never thought of the gas thing like that. That's gay as shit, now I have to find places around here with separate pumps.
Carbbed cars, if they are driven slowly, get gunked up in the carb. Mechanics and enthusiasts call it loading. When I worked at the ferrari shop, and we would just move ferraris around the parking lot for a week, at the end of the week they were sputtering, not starting, idling rough. You have to take them out on the highway and "blow them out". This is usually 2 high speed, high rpm passes. Then when you park them, they run fine.

E tells a story of a mechanic from Bulgaria or some shit. Was brought a car because "it wasn't running right". The mechanic got in the car and sped away, shifting it like a raped ape. he got back, got out of the car and said :

"You. Come here." (Owner walks over)

"You see dis?" (Pointing at the red line on the tach) (Owner nods his head)

"Dis where you sheeft ! You drive like fooking poosy!"

Of course on a high powered hyper bike, "blowing it" tends to be perilous. I pussied my bike for MONTHS (Not only because I was amateur, but because it was fucking winter) and it routinely needs to be blown out . Again, "shifting at red" is a different prospect when you're new to a bike.

My bike mechanic was more than happy to blow it out for me.

Do you have a wideband? I'd check AFR's at idle and see what they look like. That'll let you know if the PC isn't working properly.

I don't have one, but that's something I'll look into.

Carbbed cars, if they are driven slowly, get gunked up in the carb. Mechanics and enthusiasts call it loading. When I worked at the ferrari shop, and we would just move ferraris around the parking lot for a week, at the end of the week they were sputtering, not starting, idling rough. You have to take them out on the highway and "blow them out". This is usually 2 high speed, high rpm passes. Then when you park them, they run fine.

E tells a story of a mechanic from Bulgaria or some shit. Was brought a car because "it wasn't running right". The mechanic got in the car and sped away, shifting it like a raped ape. he got back, got out of the car and said :

"You. Come here." (Owner walks over)

"You see dis?" (Pointing at the red line on the tach) (Owner nods his head)

"Dis where you sheeft ! You drive like fooking poosy!"

Of course on a high powered hyper bike, "blowing it" tends to be perilous. I pussied my bike for MONTHS (Not only because I was amateur, but because it was fucking winter) and it routinely needs to be blown out . Again, "shifting at red" is a different prospect when you're new to a bike.

My bike mechanic was more than happy to blow it out for me.

Lol, I wouldn't say I pussy my bike around anymore, I'm comfortable with it. It still has surprises though that I'm not used to yet. Like when I got it dyno'd it came back as 94.4 @ 14k, and yesterday I was "not-poosy" riding it from first to second, probably harder than I should have, and thought hey lets shift right at my peak, and then my front wheel was up and scared the shit outta me:ph34r:

Yeah, I can see that with the 600. It's not so scary, and NEEDS to be brought up to high RPMs.

3rd gear on the zx12 at 5000 rpm is 80mph. High RPM runs are triple digits in under 5 seconds.

Oh, I do bring it up to high rpm's, it's just usually at higher speeds on the highway, not at low speeds on 2 lane main roads.

3rd gear 5k at 80mph? What's it redline at? Geared much lower than the gsxr, in 6th cruising on the highway I'm at about 5.5k at 65 maybe 70.

And if anyones interested, here's the video of the dyno. I had the sheet printed up, but it rained on the way home and I got soaked and the paper was ruined. Thats me in the white/black shirt, standing in the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWo7VMx-g5E

Last edited:
Back