Question about the GSX-R.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah 94.4whp @ 14.7k. He wanted me to come to his shop so he could tune it blah blah but I wasn't feeling to money-loaded that day.

nice. haha.

so i have been looking at allsorts of motor cycles latley. i plan on buying one. im looking at mainly 600's i cand find em on craigslist for li 3-7000 so any helpful hints fo the make and model????
i was looking at CBR's ans GSX-R's

Yeah, I can see that with the 600. It's not so scary, and NEEDS to be brought up to high RPMs.

3rd gear on the zx12 at 5000 rpm is 80mph. High RPM runs are triple digits in under 5 seconds.

That 600 will hit 100mph just as fast as your ZX12R =)
too bad the ZX12R will rape it after 100.

The GSX-R does not have a choke and there should be zero start up issues that have anything to do with the fuel system on an 06.

Sounds like either something is broke, or if you have a powercommander it's not hooked up right or has something loose.

nice. haha.

so i have been looking at allsorts of motor cycles latley. i plan on buying one. im looking at mainly 600's i cand find em on craigslist for li 3-7000 so any helpful hints fo the make and model????
i was looking at CBR's ans GSX-R's

SV650, Ninja 500, GS500...

stay away form super sports unless you have some riding experience under your belt.

If its your first bike and you have zero riding experience, do not buy anything with R in it.

Srsly.

A lot of us who just bought bikes have been riding for a while, or are transitioning from dirt.

My dad is scared shitless of my bike.

Dave: What's he saying about "twenty horsepower" ?

Honestly, I found my bike by searching Google for "Used Motorcycles 15068" and the website for Snow Polaris came up, with the GSX-R on it without a price, I requested a quote and he called me the next day saying it was his personal bike.

Oh and he's saying that my powercommander was probably downloaded with a basic fuel map for that bike or something, being that how it's running now is fine and won't hurt the bike, but it's running very rich and he "guarantee's" there's and extra 20 horsepower that he could get out of the motor with some tuning.

Srsly.

or are transitioning from dirt.

I hate hearing that, I also rode dirt for many years, it means jack shit on the street, even more so on a supersport bike. They're nothing like a dirt bike.
You could argue the point that riding a moped for years would help the transitioning from one to the other...

20 horse power from the power commander is a load of crap unless your bike is running really bad to start with.

Think of it this way, lets say you have a stock civic that makes 130hp, do you really think you could get another 15-20% just by tuning alone?

Hell my bike would make damn near 240hp if that was the case.

Power commanders tend to help "smooth" the power band out, making it more usable. This is a big plus when you run an after market intake or exhaust.

Think of it this way, lets say you have a stock civic that makes 130hp, do you really think you could get another 15-20% just by tuning alone?

My civic makes almost that much extra just from tuning. ~90HP to 134HP with a decent tune. But then again, it's got an open exhaust, and it was tuned to be an european grocery-getter.

But yeah, I know what you mean. That's the exception that makes people think they can do it in their civic/bike/moped.

My civic makes almost that much extra just from tuning. ~90HP to 134HP with a decent tune. But then again, it's got an open exhaust, and it was tuned to be an european grocery-getter.

But yeah, I know what you mean. That's the exception that makes people think they can do it in their civic/bike/moped.

unless you have a dyno before and after (same dyno) it's hard to say those #s are correct. Chances are the dyno was reading high, or you could have a higher powered motor from the factory.

I've seen maybe different 350Z dynos and they range from 220-280WHP fully stock #s. almost all of them range in the 230-240WHP range.

Hell I put down 373WHP on a dyno dynamics dyno and expect to see 420-430WHP on a dyno jet.

So in other words, 44hp gain on a tune even with exhaust is pretty out there.
Only cars I've seen that have made major gains from tuning is turbo cars, tuning + bumping the boost.

unless you have a dyno before and after (same dyno) it's hard to say those #s are correct. Chances are the dyno was reading high, or you could have a higher powered motor from the factory.

I've seen maybe different 350Z dynos and they range from 220-280WHP fully stock #s. almost all of them range in the 230-240WHP range.

Hell I put down 373WHP on a dyno dynamics dyno and expect to see 420-430WHP on a dyno jet.

So in other words, 44hp gain on a tune even with exhaust is pretty out there.
Only cars I've seen that have made major gains from tuning is turbo cars, tuning + bumping the boost.

Yeah, tbh, I don't know if it was actually a gain. No 'before' dyno to compare it against. I keep kicking myself for that. Maybe I just lucked out to begin with. But we did do 3 passes after warmup just to make sure.

Next time I go, I'll get the graph. I have no idea what the dyno was though. Some TÃœV Bosch dyno....

EDIT: Lemme clarify a bit: Straight-through exhaust, exhaust 4-2-1 header, high-flow cat, d16y8 intake manifold, cold air intake, dry-flow filter, OBD2 -> OBD1 with a tuned hondata s300.

Last edited:
Back