question bout cat. converter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chacal06

I have a 93 civic but it has a straight pipa no catalitic my question is how does this effect my car ?? Also a friend told me that with out it my car will waste more gas is this true or he don't kno what the f××k he talkin bout ?

ok all a cat converter does is convert some of the methane and nox in to co2 and o2, after a while the screens start to get fouled up and restrict flow, and the stories the same as the egr system, they are nice for the enviroment but they do rob hp,

yeah it's pretty much just for emissions control. I don't know if it's just me but when I ran a straight pipe, it sounded a bit louder, but that may have just been me

Purely emissions; they burn unburned fuel in the exhaust too, hence the smell difference. Modern high flow catalytic converters don't rob horsepower, I have have seen dyno tests that showed a car (a N/A Honda) make more power with a high flow cat than with a test pipe. It could rob horsepower if it is so dirty that it restricts flow, but that would be a bad cat because they are designed to clean themselves(the screen heats up and "burns" everything). But about it wasting gas is untrue, a bad oxygen sensor would cause this but not removing the cat.

Last edited:
Ok thanks that saves me some money...I was thinkin of putting a cat it was gonna be 140 but thanks to y'all I will leave it like that !! Now bout the o2 sensor I'm niot sure how to order it because its a honda but with a b18b1 engine from a 94 should I get the sensor for an acura 94' ?

you should be able to find a part number for the o2 sensor by the engine, at least thats what I did for my jdmd15b. or you could find a usdm car that the engine is in and buy one of those. I would buy one online, it is usually cheaper than the parts house. I would recommend a Bosch one because cheap o2 sensors usually fair rather quickly.

well if you care about the enviornment then slap on your cat/converter, but straight pipe gives you more power anyways, and yes it does smell more, you may be able to smell some of the gas while driving your car, but its not a big deal.

idk I never really smelled any major difference, it's not going to be like night and day where you're going to have to wear a face mask or anything

it only makes a difference when you are in a closed area, like a garage, or parking structure, etc.

Back