Question>>D16Z6 Swap into 88 civic lx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ceehris

I just bought a 88 civic lx off a buddy and it no longer runs. the guy who swapped the motor in it sayed that the reason it is not running is because the vtech controller is missing (as it broke). the motor was running off of a PM6 and a vtech controller. I know this isnt the correct way to run the motor properly. but my question is it true that the motor will not run because there is no vtech controller hooked up? buddy who swapped the motor into the car sayed that you have to bypass the vtech to get the motor to run without vtech. I would I go about doing this, if what buddy says is true?

You should get a OBD1 P28 or chipped P06/p08 etc.. ECU for it.
Forget the VTEC controller shit, not gona work right, doesn't provide extra fuel.. totally useless.
The PM6 CAN get that engine running if you've got a OBD0 Distributor bolted to it. Refer to the trouble codes the ECU gives you.
Rywire - Online Store

Just get it running and idling, do not drive it on the PM6. Just start and idle. I tell you this so you can at least troubleshoot what's REALLY wrong while you wait for the new ECU to arrive.

Last edited:
You should get a OBD1 P28 or chipped P06/p08 etc.. ECU for it.
Forget the VTEC controller shit, not gona work right, doesn't provide extra fuel.. totally useless.
The PM6 CAN get that engine running if you've got a OBD0 Distributor bolted to it. Refer to the trouble codes the ECU gives you.
Rywire - Online Store

Just get it running and idling, do not drive it on the PM6. Just start and idle. I tell you this so you can at least troubleshoot what's REALLY wrong while you wait for the new ECU to arrive.

lol thnx for the info. but already know all that.
yes there is a obd0 dizzy on it. but I must be a retard. lol. totally forgot to look at the DTCs. I think it is most likely a wiring problem. but what I am trying to do is make the engine run so I can make sure everything internal on the engine is good, before I start buying a obd1 dizzy, a P28, and a obd0>obd1 ECU jumper. I dont wanna waste my money if the motor is junk.

You don't verify an engine like that =)
1. Compression check
2. Leak-down test.

Done. Inspect the head if you must...

You don't verify an engine like that =)
1. Compression check
2. Leak-down test.

Done. Inspect the head if you must...

lol. but still after you do both those checks. there still could be something internal fuked up. I already did both of those. its always good to hear the motor run. Fuk I might as well do a complete tear down to make sure everything is okay. how bout naw. I think ill just hear it run. lol you keep telling me a buncha shit I already know. but thanks anyways

Last edited:
if you know so much, why isn't it running yet?
You didn't know that VTEC had nothing to do with the engine not running because the engine doesn't require it to run, especially when you're using a non-VTEC ECU. and VTEC is spelled VTEC.. not vtech.
There, now i've told you some things you didn't know. LOL
;) i'm just kiddin with you. So what's the status? really, why isn't it running yet?

if you know so much, why isn't it running yet?
You didn't know that VTEC had nothing to do with the engine not running because the engine doesn't require it to run, especially when you're using a non-VTEC ECU. and VTEC is spelled VTEC.. not vtech.
There, now i've told you some things you didn't know. LOL
;) i'm just kiddin with you. So what's the status? really, why isn't it running yet?

lol shit mane. I was reading that and I was like damn! I appreciate everything man. VTECH vtech lol. umm status is I havent had a chance to look at it yet. Its at my work in their compound and I just fuked my back up at work and I will be receiving insurance for it, so I cant go fuk with it or anything lol. I work for a Cadillac Dealership as a apprentice tech so I cant go work on a car on my jobsite cuz they'll be like damn. you can work on that but not this! lol
but anyways yea. I got a P28, obd1 dizzy lined up to buy so I just need the obd0>obd1 ecu jumper from rywire. So I gotta order that soon. and then i will be doin it all properly. the motor cranks over good now. compression is good and all that. so I dont think ima even fuk with it to try n get it running with the PM6 just a waste of time. Looking at the wiring job buddy did. Its hidious, so Im almost guaranteed its the wiring. but thanks for the info mane!

Back