Question for a friend... VW guy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

livinlow

Working on helping a buddy build a supercharger or turbo setup for his 2001 gti vr6. I told him he may be better off with a supercharger since his motor isn't designed as a high rpm one which wouldn't get the full effect of a turbo like my gs-r does. There are more opportunities for tuning with turbo and it would be cheaper so I was thinking that maybe a t3/t4b or a smaller trim t3/t4e would work for him so that it would spool faster at a lower rpm. What do you think?

Ummmm......... You contradict your self and one part of what you say is true and the other is bull. You need to learn to read compressor maps. You can find a turbo that will make power at just about any RPM you want and one that will make power through out the RPM range your looking for. You dont have to have some killer turbo that makes power past 6k RPM and you dont have to have some cheap bitch turbo that powerless after 4k RPM. Im thinking looking to something like a 16g or 12G if he wanting to make some poer lower in the rev range. Some one may come along and explain more but i think you still have some reading to do.

The pros/cons still stand for Super charger vs turbo, it has nothing to do with where you want to make power but how the power is made and the fact that you have instantaneous power with some type of belt driven system yet are limited in alot of areas when compared to the versatility of a turbo application.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about turbos or superchargers. I understand that a turbo will work at various rpm ranges. I was trying to find a turbo that would work for a guy that really doesn't know how to tune or work on either kind of system that is keeping stock internals on a larger displacement but lower revving motor than my gs-r. Can someone tell me where I can find compressor maps so I can understand this better and make a good suggestion for what turbo will work? Thanks.

Bump

For a guy who wants to learn.

An M62 or an M90 on a VR6 would be dope! Honestly it has been a while since I have owned a VDub. When I owned my Jetta GLX VR6, I was looking at N/A options, however as I understand there are some blower packages out there for it, you just need to look.

My dad owned a Corrado. We tried to make it fast, but major mechanical issues prevented this from ever happening. The VR6 intake manifold is horrible, one of the worst designs in automotive history. We had serious Drivetrain and Fuel Delivery issues (2 fuel pumps in a month, and it started to fail again as we sold it).

If you're going to go with a centri-supercharger, go for it. A bajillion VW guys have done it. Most of them are old-fuddy-duddies who think that a Turbocharger ruins a car. I've looked at VW vortex enough to make me have a general dislike for the kind of people who own volkswagen. Best of luck with your project.

Edit: A few things you need to consider

A his redline isn't that terrible, but the Corrado had terribly long gears (doing 80 in second gear). I don't know if this is a problem with the Golf/Jetta transmissions, but compared to other import people it is a world of difference.

You intake manifold.... where do I begin. If you plan on increasing your VE at all, plan to run either lean as hell or rich as piss in one bank. The runner volume is terribly unequal. VW claims it dosen't matter, but it does.

Your engine is an inline-6, so don't expect the horsepower of a V6, and most well built Inline 4s for that matter. DO capitalize on the assloads of torque that the engine makes near idle.

Don't buy the Garret limh or whatever-the-hell-his-name-is chip. It's just an ebay chip with a little tweaking. Get a dyno tuner like regular people and get the power you should have.

well, my friend has a t4 60-1 hifi on a 12 valve vr6, it hits like 6 pounds quick, then takes a second or 2 to climb up to his full boost of about 10 psi. just have your friend get an atp kit(not sure what turbo it comes with, but probably a t3/t4 54 or higher trim would be cool, with a .63 ar. dont forget that although the rpms are less than honda, the displacement is much greater, thereby allowing it to flow a shitload of cfm's). also, since your friend has a new 24 valve vr6, its gonna flow pretty good. for management, go for like 310 cc injectors with a cartech rising rate fmu and a chip(either eip stage 2, or maybe something from c2 motorsports).
check out vwvortex, look in the vr6 engine tech and forced induction forums. should be helpful.

why the fuck would you buy a t4 60-1 to run 10 pounds?
310 cc injectors?

no wonder why wv's are slow.

Back