Question for Steve, EGProject, etc.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

So I'm wanting to put a home depot lip kit on my hatch, and I'm wondering what I should be looking for, not only for the actual lip but for fasteners as well. What is easy to use but still works well?

What width trim should I look for?

I just got some trim at home depot. There really wasn't a choice. My trim was a lot stiffer than Airjockie's trim (Which actually looks like leather draped over the front)

I got the more plastic type, versus the vinyl type of trim. EG has the exact same stuff as I did.

then I put the rounded bit on the bottom (The stuff that sticks up over the ground cover). The important thing to remember is that you need to measure out the corner bends to make sure it looks symmetrical.

With the ED bumper (As I imagine we're talking about) the curvature should look a LOT better than the squared off corner of the CRX bumper - like EG's does. From there, don't be afraid to make that sucker drag on the ground. Get large rivets and fender washers for each rivet. I (On Clayton's suggestion) painted each rivet with black nailpolish to not only attempt to conceal them, but to prevent them from rusting. Use fender washers on the back of the bumper skin.

I also held the shape of the corner in with two coat hangers. The coat hangers will need to be in place for a few weeks, but it will contort and take that shape so that soon you can take the hangers out.

To flare the bottoms of the trim out, cut the top to be shorter, to make them curve in, cut the top longer. Mount it low on the bumper skin (Again don't be afraid to scrape the ground, that's what it's there for)

-> Steve

Also, the lower airdam from the first gen S-10 Blazer / Truck fits, mounts and costs $20 new.

So I'm going to have to remove the bumper to do this properly, correct?

No sheetrock screws for this hobo.

also, old ranger/bronco II lower air dams can be made to fit

I had one (upsidedown) on my old 1st gen rex

Make sure it's level with the ground. Up in the air welcomes all sorts of chances of it not being level.

Without the drop my Civic would be too low with an 8 inch trim. the CRX has that and it can roll a soda can down the street. It hit on the highway when the pavement changes.

yeah it did!

and thanks to your cool modifications to the fender/bumper mount, it doesnt fall off either :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Without the drop my Civic would be too low with an 8 inch trim. the CRX has that and it can roll a soda can down the street. It hit on the highway when the pavement changes.

I'll take some measurements and maybe some pictures and show you. There is a good 6 to 7 inches of space from the pavement to the bottom of the bumper.

+1 for what Celerity has said.

I got the plastic (note, plastic, not vinyl) edging from A local hardware store, where I also got the SS hardware.
My and EP3 put it on in about 45 minutes in my garage, with the bumper on the car. We measured it out and measured how far up on the bumper we should put it. Marked it on the other side and double checked. Tailoring tape is a great addition, as a reg table measure can't conform to the bumper shape. You can eyeball where the screws go, or measure the distance and divide if you want it looking even.

Predrill the holes to make it easier and screw it in. You can also use rivets if you want to make it more permanent. Additionally ( I didn't do it, but its probably a good idea) to get a snug fit you may want to heat up the edging with a heat gun to get it to fully conform.

med_gallery_34733_413_400961.jpg

:ph34r:

Ricer? Hell no.

Back