Question for you Computer Guys

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I'm planning on buying the following and wanted to know if this is a good deal. I've been doing my homework but this is my first personal DIY computer.

X-Dreamer Case w/350 watt PS
Asus A7N8X-VM Motherboard w/built in 128mb video memory
AMD XP 2600+ CPU
Kensington 512 Memory
WD 80gb 7200 8mb cache HD
Samsung 52x32x52 CD Burner
Keyboard & Mouse
Windows XP
19" Hitachi Monitor

All for $720.00

Is this a good setup ? Would you change anything without making a huge change in cash ???

Really ? I've heard nothing but good things about the AMD CPU. Everybody I talk to says they have switched from Intel to AMD and never looked back.

nothing but good luck with my amd's.. been rumming on them for 6 years with not a simgle complaint!

Ok, so how about this question. If a board does not have overclocking abilities, can I still overclock ? I have no clue how or what is involved when you overclock.

I never thought I had probs w/them until I went w/a $$$dell and since my system never freezes,spazzes,or just restarts on its own,but everyone has different experiences w hardware so I didnt make a suggestion just told you my exp.I've had 2 amd's and lots of friends w/them,1 hp pentium,and 2 dell pentium's.I have been way happier w/my pentiums but lots of friends still use the amd's for the money issue.

the difference between home and pro is significant though,be sure to stay w/at least 512 mem on pro or it sucks.

all this is just my opinion and comps are always a hot debate issue but I love my dell's.

Whats the real difference with Home and Pro ?

I heard the Pro just has more networking capabilities !!! Should I buy pro ?

this has been covered many times before.my biggest issue is the amount of kbps I use [2200+] and I think it runs multiple apps at a faster mem allocation per app than home...again just my experience.college forums are the place to get tons of specs and arguements about cpu stuff and I am def no expert espically since having the dell support my knowledge is old..

- I'd buy an Antec Case with at least a 450Watt supply. The antec suplies are great and cool the supply great as well. if you're gonna add more periphials in the future you'll be glad you have the power.

-I'm not a fan of video cards or anything integrated on the motherboards. it's just a bad idea. I've a real big fan of TYAN

AMD XP 2600+ CPU
- never had anything but great luck with AMD

Kensington 512 Memory
- I'd look into using crucial memory, better prices, better product

- I'd also look at Maxtor for the hard disk I've had 4 Westerndigital hard drives fail in the past two years, they used to be great quality but I'm sceptical now. I had 2 drives in a Server die 4 months after I bought them, and 2 of em die in different computers within a year of purchase date.

- go with the best buy a plextor

Keyboard & Mouse

Windows XP
- I'd personally still use win2k, but if it's gotta be an XP system PRO is the way to go.

19" Hitachi Monitor

you might spend a total of $100-150 more for some of the stuff I've spec'd but you get what you pay for. also get the idea of overclocking out of your mind, with the speed of todays computers there's no need for it. I also can't stress enough buy high quality cooling fans Heat is the #1 killer of PC's

i wont be buying another amd either. i bought a 2800 with the barton chip and epanded 333 FSB, and i still can't get the fucker to run over 1100 Mhz. i will be going back to P4's on my next system.

based on personal experience I would use ME before XP, ME just seemed to have less problems all around. At least I think so.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Nov 27 2003, 12:23 PM
- I'd buy an Antec Case with at least a 450Watt supply. The antec suplies are great and cool the supply great as well. if you're gonna add more periphials in the future you'll be glad you have the power.

-I'm not a fan of video cards or anything integrated on the motherboards. it's just a bad idea. I've a real big fan of TYAN

AMD XP 2600+ CPU
- never had anything but great luck with AMD

Kensington 512 Memory
- I'd look into using crucial memory, better prices, better product

- I'd also look at Maxtor for the hard disk I've had 4 Westerndigital hard drives fail in the past two years, they used to be great quality but I'm sceptical now. I had 2 drives in a Server die 4 months after I bought them, and 2 of em die in different computers within a year of purchase date.

- go with the best buy a plextor

Keyboard & Mouse

Windows XP
- I'd personally still use win2k, but if it's gotta be an XP system PRO is the way to go.

19" Hitachi Monitor

you might spend a total of $100-150 more for some of the stuff I've spec'd but you get what you pay for. also get the idea of overclocking out of your mind, with the speed of todays computers there's no need for it. I also can't stress enough buy high quality cooling fans Heat is the #1 killer of PC's

i agree with almost everything

Antec cases own (last 2 i built)
TYAN ownes, built in memory blows (last 3)
AMD ownes (last 3)
Ive had Good luck with WD and Maxtor but i wouldnt buy anything else
Samsung burner should be fine just stick with brand names

if you go with any board that needs a graphics card any Gforce4 board >or= 128 megs should be good, the new Raedon 9600 is pretty sweet too

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Nov 28 2003, 02:25 AM
based on personal experience I would use ME before XP, ME just seemed to have less problems all around. At least I think so.

lmmfao

you have got to be kidding me.

ME is by far, factually, the worst OS M$ has ever made.

You GOTTA LOOK at the Lian Li cases before you buy whatever your thinking of. They're HELLA expensive, but DAMN worth it. No sharp edges, a separate EASILY removable MB tray, both side panels are removable independantly, and EVERYTHING is thumb screw secured... Plus, Mine's brushed aluminum finish...

Check out the Lian Li PC-50. I LOVE mine.

I already ordered the motherboard becuase my brother has one and it works great. Plus I thought this would be the least controversial item on my list. But I still need some ideas on memory !!!! What kind should I get. I need 512, but not sure what brand?

The Samsung in my PC works great, and was half the price of all the other brands...

right on, I got everything ordered and I'll let you know how it goes. Will the power supply in the case power up without a motherboard ? I was trying to see if the case will light up and work and it won't turn on. I hope I didn't get a bad power supply.

Back