Question for you Computer Guys

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no- the psu conencts to the MB, and the MB controls the lights for the case and hddd lights up front.

ok, when I plug the power into the power supply, the thing doesn't turn on. No fan turns, nothing. Shouldn't I be able to turn the power supply on and off with the switch on the back ? Shouldn't the power supply fan come on ? or does the motherboard control some kind of circuit board in the power supply ?

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Nov 28 2003, 05:10 AM
You GOTTA LOOK at the Lian Li cases before you buy whatever your thinking of. They're HELLA expensive, but DAMN worth it. No sharp edges, a separate EASILY removable MB tray, both side panels are removable independantly, and EVERYTHING is thumb screw secured... Plus, Mine's brushed aluminum finish...

Check out the Lian Li PC-50. I LOVE mine.

WERD

Lian Li cases are way nicer than Antec but for the $$ Antec look pretty sweet

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 28 2003, 04:51 AM-->
Silverchild79
@Nov 28 2003, 02:25 AM
based on personal experience I would use ME before XP, ME just seemed to have less problems all around. At least I think so.

lmmfao

you have got to be kidding me.

ME is by far, factually, the worst OS M$ has ever made.

:werd: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WinME = :puke2:

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Nov 28 2003, 07:25 AM
based on personal experience I would use ME before XP, ME just seemed to have less problems all around. At least I think so.

wtf are you smoking??!?!?! ME BLOWS!!!! It is the least stable windows OS since 3.x. DONT USE WINDOWS ME, use 2k Pro, or XP Pro.

Originally posted by randerson165@Nov 29 2003, 12:48 AM
ok, when I plug the power into the power supply, the thing doesn't turn on. No fan turns, nothing. Shouldn't I be able to turn the power supply on and off with the switch on the back ? Shouldn't the power supply fan come on ? or does the motherboard control some kind of circuit board in the power supply ?

There are ways to trick an ATX power supply into powering up without being connected to a motherboard, but I wouldn't recommend it at your skill level. No offense meant at all, it's just that it requires sticking bits of metal into your power supply, and electrocuting yourself and starting a fire isn't very fun :)

And yes, WinME is the redheaded stepchild of the Windows lineup. :) It's Windows 98 with it's DOS-level guts forcibly ripped out, and it just dosen't work right. Microsoft was supposed to support it as long as they'll support Win2K, but they cut their support on it short and cancelled it when they stopped supporting Win98. Even they know it sucks. :)

Win 2k is the way to go IMO. Straight up, easiest to use, none of this winxp bs or anything.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Dec 1 2003, 04:53 PM
Win 2k is the way to go IMO. Straight up, easiest to use, none of this winxp bs or anything.

WinXP is bascally a big fat service pack for 2k. :) You can turn off most of XPs flashy graphics and basically have an XP-improved 2k machine .

Originally posted by randerson165@Nov 27 2003, 02:09 AM
I'm planning on buying the following and wanted to know if this is a good deal. I've been doing my homework but this is my first personal DIY computer.

X-Dreamer Case w/350 watt PS
Asus A7N8X-VM Motherboard w/built in 128mb video memory
AMD XP 2600+ CPU
Kensington 512 Memory
WD 80gb 7200 8mb cache HD
Samsung 52x32x52 CD Burner
Keyboard & Mouse
Windows XP
19" Hitachi Monitor

All for $720.00

Is this a good setup ? Would you change anything without making a huge change in cash ???

I might be repeating what has already been said, but you can never have too much info on product quality and reliability, so here goes:

X-Dreamer Case w/350 watt PS
Like CRX-YEM said, I would get an Antec case and at least a 450W PSU. As far as PSU brands I would choose Antec or Enermax.

Asus A7N8X-VM Motherboard w/built in 128mb video memory
ASUS have great mobos, and a built in video card is always good when you build a system and will most likely have something go wrong with the stand alone video card. Having an onboard video card will help you during troubleshooting. I would still get a regular AGP card as well though. If you wanna save some money go with a mobo with less onboard video ram.

AMD XP 2600+ CPU
I'm on my third AMD chip and I'm really happy with it. There used to be heating issues with Athlons in the past, but the newer chips are problem-free. However if you are looking to overclock, a P4 system will be easier.

Kensington 512 Memory
Good ram is important. Kensington is good, so is PNY, Corsair.

WD 80gb 7200 8mb cache HD
This is a great hard-drive and you shouldn't be disappointed. I love my WDs

Samsung 52x32x52 CD Burner
Never had a samsung. A great brand is Lite-On and they're pretty cheap too.

Windows XP
XP owns! go Pro too. Make sure you have all the updates once you get everything working right.

Back