Question>> Ignition Timing....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ceehris

I have a 88 lx with a d16z6, rywire obd0 to obd1 ecu jumper and a P28

my question is do I still jump the same connector for base timing when timing it? or do I have to jump something else?

okay so I tried to time it jumping the stock (88 civic lx) base timing connector and it doesnt do anything. I cannot time it properly.
I was looking on alldatapro.com as I am a member and it says for a 1993 civic ex the wires you jump for base timing are the same wires you jump when extracting (checking) ecu codes.
so since I have the rywire obd0 to obd1 ecu jumper. should I just flick the toggle switch for checking the ecu codes to get base timing?

thats what I have, and what I use to jump my system to check codes, but I don't know anything about timing the motor by it...

you are supposed to jump it when timing the ignition.

on my car since it is not a Si I do not have this connector.. instead I have a connector with a yellow cap on it near the drivers side motor mount. but when I jump it, it does not set base timing. therefore I cannot time my engine as anyway I adjust the dizzy I cannot get the timing mark on the crank pulley to line up with the timing cover mark. so right now I have the dizzy advanced fully, I know that cannot be the correct timing. so I need to find out what I need to jump to get it to set base timing. when I look at all the schematics the checkengine light connector you jump to look at codes and the base timing connector are the same. therefore I am wondering if I connect the orange and blue wire on my rywire obd0 to obd1 ecu jumper (which I would do to check codes) to get base timing. but I guess I am going to just try it and see if it helps.

Contact RyWire and ask them. It's possible that your timing belt's off a tooth or two.

no already checked that. timing belt is good. aligned the tdc mark on the crank pulley to the timing cover mark and checked the crank pulley marks for alignment. and they all line up. I know its just not going into base timing mode or adjusting mode or w/e u wanna call it.

Hmm. I don't know what to tell you, dude. I don't have to flip my CEL toggle switch to set my timing (JKOBD/RyWire OBDI harness, '91 hatch). I use a 3" piece of scrap engine harness wire with about 3/8-1/2" stripped off each end to jump my timing connector. Works the same as it does on my woman's stock '90 hatch.

well thanks anyways. ill figure it out.

Back