1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question of concern

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Seany-izzle, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

i have yokohama avs es 100's. ive had them since about May. SInce about sept 1st, ive been driving them hard every weekend, about 1-2 days a week. )on rt 17 for those who know it in VT) now, the car is lowerd almost 2 inches without a camber kit. I have brembo blanks with Hawk HP pads.

The situation is, on hard braking, like the light turning red all of a sudden, i brake kinda hard and the tires lock up and slide alot. At the same time they smoke..ALOT. Is this because the tread going? Buying new tires simply solve this? id say the tires have about 65% life on them.

For instance, tonight i came to a short halt at a stop sign i didnt see to well. i stepped on the brake, and the tires smoked. I dont even press the brake too hard. Would tires that are almost 1/2 worn do this??

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

are you sure it's the tires that are smoking? Hard braking brings to mind your...brakes... <_<

How can the tires start smoking unless they're locked and you're sliding from 40 mph to a stop??? if you're sliding, then duh they'll smoke.

3. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

yeah ive slid before and no smoke. tonight i wasnt going more that about 30 tops. yeah its tires, it smells just like tires, smelt it alot before. i dont have abs, so im pretty sure that they are locking.

4. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

the original tread surface is always harder due to the tire manufacturing process. as you wear down the tread, you expose softer, gummier rubber underneath so you're probably getting more grip, therefore building up more friction/heat when you lock em up.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted