Question On After Market Air Intake and ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HunterAV

Hi
I have a 96 4dr Civic LX with a stock engine for a couple of months now and am planning to install a performance air intake. I was wondering if it was necessary for me to buy and install a chipped or flashed OBD 1 to see some increased performance or will I be able see some increase and hold off on the OBD 1 for later tweaks to the car. And for those of you who will say why not swap the engine? I thought about that but since I need my car 6 out of the 7 days a week to get to and from school and work and I know engine swapping takes more the a day to install and tweak, swapping is not an option now. The best I can do right now is minor performance upgrades.
Thanks

An intake isn't anywhere near the same type of mod as an engine swap! :lol:

If you're just installing an intake, don't worry about the ECU. Just reset the ECU by pulling the back up fuse in your engine bay (or unplug the ECU itself in the passenger side foot well), wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. This clears out any mess in your stock ECU's memory, and will still allow you to gain some power with the intake. You shouldn't swap OBD revisions for something as simple as an intake. The stock ECU will adapt without any problems.

Back