1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding prelude short shifter

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Luded, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Luded

Luded Member

Hi www.forbiddenmotorsports.com has a short shifter for the prelude but i was wondering is it worth the money or should i just buy a short shifter adapter from fidanza or dc or somebody and then just use my dremel and shave off .5" of the threading on the stock shifter to make it shorter? thanks

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Shaving off the top of the shifter won't do anything. The focal point is still the same, as is the length between the focal point and the bottom end of the shifter where the linkage connects to.

Spend the money on a short throw if you want one, chopping the top off will do absolutely nothing but make it feel more choppy and put the knob further from your hand.

3. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

yeah, and if you have an Si/VTEC (never driven an S, so dont know if its true) your shifter and throw are already pretty short. A short shifter will make the nob come out right above the console and you will barely have any throw to it. The edlebrock shifter on a Civic hatch does that...id hate to see what it does to a prelude.

4. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

forbidden motorsports makes an excellent short shifter for the cable shifters in the prelude and accord. If you are goingto put a short shifter in def go with this one. any other adapter style short shifter is going to change the posiitioning of the cables to much and make the shifts feel choppy and chunky and unsmooth.

5. civic92jak

civic92jak Senior Member

or you could visit some of the accord sites and find out how to do a DIY short shifter in your accord. My bro did it to his accord using some parts from Home Depot. Worked very well. Total cost=$5.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted