Questionable HP claim

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

While back I was reading a review on the 99-00 Civic Si and the guy was saying this about the HP
".....the Si's 160 (which certain magazines claim is
a conservative number, with the actual figure
postulated as about 170--Honda didn't want to
cannibalize sales from the 170hp Integra GSR)....."
Is there any truth to that? Sorry this is a stupid question, and is basically meaningless but I'm interested if any of you have heard about that. I'm wondering if its just bullshit. Just curious.
Thanks

I doubt it.... but my brothers 00 Si dyno'd 148ish to the wheels... 12 hp is questionable for a car that had 50k miles on it.

the JDM B16 is rated at 170 hp
the USDM B16 is rated at 160 hp
the extra HP is due in part to a higher compression ratio and slightly less restrictive emissions equipment

What no one rates the horsepower to the wheels. Expect around 140 to the wheels for a b16a2. And why would honda or any other company under rate their car? That makes no sense, a car with more horsepower appeals to me more. Who cares if a civic is 170 and a gsr is 180? You buy the car for whatever reason it appeals to you wether it is looks, power, interior, exterior and so on. Thats my .02 atleast.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Sep 27 2004, 10:30 PM
What no one rates the horsepower to the wheels. Expect around 140 to the wheels for a b16a2. And why would honda or any other company under rate their car? That makes no sense, a car with more horsepower appeals to me more. Who cares if a civic is 170 and a gsr is 180? You buy the car for whatever reason it appeals to you wether it is looks, power, interior, exterior and so on.
[post=395585]Quoted post[/post]​

why would a manufacturer underrate the power? ask chevy and ford, they've done it in their pony cars from day 1.

less rated power will help keep the insurance rates cheaper.

the 2002 Camaro SS 6 speed with 325 advertised hp was dyno'd by MM&FF at 317 hp to the rear wheels...

Same with the new Mazda RX-8, they under-rated the power to keep it under a certain number that keeps insurance companies smiling, or so explains every dealer I've been to

Actually...Mazda did the opposite, they overrated it... just like they had done in the past with the Miata. They said it had a certain amount and when people were dyno'ing quite a bit less they caved, said they did the public wrong and fixed the claimed numbers, some dealerships even bought back cars from unhappy customers.

They said it had something like 270 hp, people were dyno'ing 200 or so, so they fixed the numbers to 230 hp.

I'll believe that article- I've seen quite a few stock B16 engines dyno over 140whp, and that comes over 160 crank hp easy.

Thats kinda cool...dunno why but its interesting to me.
Makes me appreciate my stock Si a little more.

Back