Questions about B16A->B18 Swap... please help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tadamori

So.. I hydro-locked the engine and it cracked so now I need to replace the B16A engine in my 94 Honda Del Sol. My mechanic couldn't locate a B16A from his suppliers so I want to install a B18 engine instead. The mechanic said a B18 would fit and all I had to do was find one and send it to his shop. However, before looking I had some questions:

1.) can you use the same power steering and AC hoses or will we have to find a replacement/converter? If so what would it be and around how much would it cost?

2.)I looked at the specs and there are several different versions of the B18. What model of B18 engine would be good in terms of performance and also cost? Is there a serious difference?

3.) How much should it cost? (I am guessing cost would be between $1000-2000?)

4.) Where is a good place to search online besides craigslist?

I just want a good, reliable engine that will last and that won't cost me a ton of money. I harldy know anything about car mechanics or buying/swaping an engine so any informed and detailed information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

:)

Tad

THanks. I think I will probably get that engine...

After researching I have more questions..

1. Will I have to replace the Manifold, motor mount or transmission?

2. can I use the ecu for the b16A that is already in my del sol? or will I have to get the p72 ECU?

3. I live in california and I am confused about smog check. I have a 93 del sol with a b16A. If i swap it to the B18C GSR will I be able to pass smog? Do I HAVE to get the p72 ECU in order to pass smog?

Thanks again!

Back