Questions about F20B swap into a 97 accord lx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phate

For a while I have been obsessing over the H22a swap as a future project for my accord (which would make for a badass first car), and I recently discovered the F20B, and fell in love with it. Since my car is a 97, it is OBD2, and since most h22's I have found are OBD1, and conversion is a messy process (yes, i am aware that there are conversion harnesses). The F20b seems like a better choice for me because it seems much more compatible with my car (plus I like that it revs higher.

So I guess my questions are:
-can I plug the F20B OBD2 ECU into my car (which is also OBD2, but not VTEC) without converting? (i know I would have to wire up VTEC, but that doesn't look too difficult considering robotics is one of my hobbies)
-for the actual physical install it would be as for an h22, needing this Hasport mount and any accessories that are not included with the engine when I buy it, correct?
-anything else i am wondering are pretty much noob questions that I can use the search function to find answers to.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I like the higher revving nature of the f20 over the h22, plus i've found them cheaper. and they are blue.

Last edited:
Blue rocks.

The ECU should plug right in. I don't know about the mounts. The F20B is a NICE engine- one of my friends put down 172whp/140lbft out of the box with an F20B in his Civic with all stock intake/header/exhaust.

good to hear someone not just tell me to get an h22 instead. I have a few friends who are, regrettably, into american muscle, but that works in my favor because it supplies me with facilities to perform the swap. Are there any differences between OBD2 and OBD2b (which i think the F20B is)? At least differences that would complicate this install (i.e. getting it to run)?

To be honest, I will not likely be competing with my car, and if i do it will definately not be drag racing where the added low-end of the h22 would help me, and if i really wanted to drag race i'd get an '88 camaro or something. I just want to have a quick, unassuming "family sedan" that will be perfectly happy driving around town at low revs (and likely delivering better gas mileage than an H22 or even the stock motor due to the smaller displacement and switch to manual transmission) on a daily basis, but having that decidedly evil side that all cars with vtec have at high rpms. Basically, i want a livable, reliable car that is much more fun with additional application of the fun pedal than it currently is.

EDIT: Because there is so little documentation of this swap on the internet, I will be taking pictures every step of the way and will make a guide-type-thing once I actually get this started.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the OBD2 revisions- I've never done an OBD2 swap myself- but I know for sure that you'll be happy with the engine. ;)

okay for future reference for anyone who needs to know, there is a difference between obd2a and 2b, by king motorsports sells obd2-obd2 conversion harnesses, which will make my swap easier.

It's funny, i thought this would be harder, but it seems like the hardest part will be getting like $2800 at age 17 and getting my parents approval/permission. oh well i suppose it'll be easier than getting them to allow me to build another $2500 computer ("but mom this will get me outside instead of playing gran turismo!")

On a side note, i wonder what SCCA SOLO regs say about cars with engine swaps?

Back