Questions about having a web site

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

My mom's bday is coming up and she has been wanting to have a web site for her ice cream shop she bought last year. So i got Dreamweaver and a book on it, and plan to get something basic going for her. She already checked out getting the domain name at GoDaddy. The thing i'm wondering is, is that a good site to go to? What is the best way to go about getting a site name and getting it on the net?

to have a website you need:

A) a name
B) a server/host
c) text/copy/html design

i have all my domains at godaddy. there hosting is ok i guess for something like that.

keep in mind, these are recurring costs (yearly for the name, monthly for the hosting unless you pay in advanced)

once you have a server, you can ftp your stuff up.

honestly, i'd throw dreamweaver away, and just get a CMS like wordpress, joomla, drupal, etc.
there's millions of skins, its easy to use and customize, and you really don't have to know a damn thing about web development to pull off a half-way decent looking site that functions properly.

i don't know how into computers you are, but b let me know i was way in over my head when i wanted to start a site. this is difficult, but good luck.

Making a website is easy. You can easily buy templates or find them free. search google for website templates or html templates. Basic HTML templates are 100% copy/paste then remove their txt and replace with your own txt.

www.jeffnortham.com was stupid simple to make.
Hands on Kitchen the website was also stupid simple to make BUT
the forum side of things..... mysql and php... :ph34r:

lol its easy.....ive made heaps for my crew on puzzle pirates.....(shh dont tell anyone)

and the best part is that it doesnt need to cost an arm and leg for it.....just go have a look carefully and youll be fine

I don't think i'm in over my head at all. I can learn shit pretty quickly, i just wanted to know the easiest way to go about getting something decent up and running. her bday is in a month, so that's what i'm shooting for.

so B, what are these programs? I looked up wordpress and it looks like its made for blogs.BTW, do you have your sites hosted through GoDaddy also, or just the domain names? the site is going to be somewhat small, maybe 10 to 12 pages at the most, and i don't think it will have much traffic right away, so you think that their hosting will be okay?

Last edited:
i have my own dedicated server... godaddy would blow up if i attempted to put hs on it. lol but my names are hosted there.

jeffie uses it for his cooking site.

wordpress is a blog platform, but i've built several non-blogs out of it. its very easy to customize into anything.
drupal or joomla or xoops may be better for you out of the box.

Thanks. I checked out Drupal and some of their examples of sites. It looks like it should be just what i need.

Back