questions about paint?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c97x

sorry boss, its turbo
so i picked up a car that has been painted with a spray can. i would like to remove this, can i use paint remover or should i just sand it all off?

after i remove the paint i will be primering it, than re-painting it.

does anyone know a good place on the net to get products for this job, or possible like a kit that has everything needed?

im pretty sure that i need : primer, base coat, and clear coat right? im new to painting so give me some help here boys

all you need to do is scuff whats there with a da sander and 320 grit. if there is rust take it all the way to the metal, then was it primer it wet sand it smooth was it again then paint it, then clear coat it then wet sand it again, it will take 1 gallon of paint

sure
only take the paint to the metal if there is rust.no need to strip old paint off just scuff it.

1.da sand it to scuff it with 320 grit
2.wash it
3.primer it.
4.wet sand it until its all smooth.
5 wash it.
6.paint it..it will take about one gallon
7.clear coat it.
8.wet sand it again.
9.wash it
10.buff it and your done.

also if the paint is fisheyed or cracked you'll want to take it down to the metal as well, if you must go down to bare metal you can use 80 grit then feather back over it with 180. As far as the rest ahhvtec has you covered

Remember that when you paint it, dirt, dust, bugs, crap in the air, is your enemy. Don't let any of that stuff get into the paint and you'll be good.

Back