questions about performance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoyalFelix

ok first off if you advance your timeing all the way ( turn the disb all the way ) what affects does that do on your car? does it have to be at a certain angle for peak performance? all the way makes it have less performance? whats the scoop on that.

also what type of hp can i get from getting performance cam gears?

what can you do to make an automatic transmission better performance?

wow you def need to do some research.

well advancing your dist really doesnt do a whole lot of good. you get some throttle response but really not any power to speak of. adjustable cam gears are good...but thats if you have performance cams to go with them. they would help but you could spend that money better to get gains...ie header.

as far as auto trannys on hondas...not a lot.

Advanced Timing

OK dude... A little basic lesson in automotive engineering.

Fuel octane rating isn't just about the "quality" of fuel, it has to do with how long it takes X amount of fuel to burn. The higher the octane, the longer X amount of fuel will take to completely burn.

When your engine rotates, the piston will come to a certain position called Top Dead Center, or TDC. TDC is when the piston can travel no further in an upward motion.

If you get a timing light, and connect it to the #1 Cylinder spark plug wire, it will flash every time the #1 cylinder "fires".

If you point that light through the small hole between the engine, and the transmission (with the car running), you will see the flywheel, and a small notch. Although the engine is running, the flywheel will look almost like it is standing still (will probably jump around a little depending on the quality of your ignition system).

You have a 4 stroke (4 cycle) engine. The four strokes are:
1. Intake - Exhaust valves closed, Intake valves open. Cylinder moves down sucking in air.
2. Compression - Intake Valves close, and piston moves up creating pressure.
3. Power - Fuel ignites pushing piston down which is where your power comes from.
4. Exhaust - Exhaust valves open, and Piston comes up pushing out all of the exhaust.

Then it starts again.

Ignition timing is important to maximize power. Each car is different, but they all ignite X degrees Before Top Dead Center BTDC. The reason for this is that once the spark ignites the fuel, it takes a second (not literally) to ignite.

THIS NEXT BIT IS IMPORTANT!!!

If you advance your timing too much, it will ignite your fuel too far BTDC. The burning fuel, which creates pressure, will be getting compressed at the same time which will rob you of power, and potentially blow a weak gasket, or worse.

Most engines will automatically advance your timing as your RPMs increase to make up for the time it takes to rotate vs. the time it takes the fuel to ignite.

If you retard (opposite of advance) your timing too little BTDC, you will waste fuel, and lose HP, because it will not have enough time to burn fully in the cylinder, and it will cause a "rich" exhaust condition. A rich exhaust condition combined with short trips (if you EVER run your car for less than 5 minutes) which don't give the catalytic converter time to heat up can damage, and clog your catalytic converter. This will cause a MAJOR loss in power.

What I suggest you do:
Go get a Chilton's manual for your car.
Buy a timing light. (Autozone probably has one for less than $20)
Look at the directions, and follow them.
NEVER TOUCH YOUR IGNITION TIMING AGAIN!!! (unless you need to for some reason, I.E. parts replacement)

I know this was a little long winded, but I hope it was informational, and helpful. If you have other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Back