Questions about the Amish - Post em here

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The only time ive really seen amish ppl was when i lived w/ my sister in upstate NY between my jr. sr. year in high school. There were a lot of amish/[SIZE=-1]meninites[/SIZE]. The whole family was outside everyday working in the yard. They kept things very simple... Is it tru that on there 18 birthday they are allowed to go out into the real world per say and determine wether they want to continue there life as a devote amish or choose the world per say and never come back home?

Last edited:
One I've been wondering for 2 years now.

Background: They'd order 6 pizzas, 4 two liters and breadsticks... I'd drive ten minutes to find their damn house and walk away with only my delivery charge of 75 cents and a check for the exact amount of the food/drinks.

Question: Why the hell are they such horrible tippers?

They prb. dont know? or play the we are amish ppl how should we know card?

Are amish people drivin cars these days or is that just the meninites?
Hmmm I think i need to make a trip to upstate NY and "Rice out someones Carriage" lmao! Could put powered by horsie stickers on the back of the buggy" and paint it Champ White for that JDM Oppeal! With amber turn signals and altezza tailights FTW! hmmm some chrome paint should look nicely on the buggy wheels too...

Last edited:
When i first started at best buy i was a computer sales rep b4 a sales manager anyways i sold computers to a young meninite family. They had some school or something for all fo them 2 go to anyways, I ended up helping everyone of there family members with the purchase of there computers too "which was like 10 families it was crazy", one of them owned a lawn mowing co. and the other's various occupations. I was really shocked about how many there were in washington state i hadnt really seen a group of them like that here ever... kinda cool. they were extremely nice people too..

prob cause they don't have much money?

Oh. I see.

I guess that is why they live in $100,000+ homes? They roll in the dough.

No ammenities or supplemental homeowner ship bills like electric, water, sewer, not to mention the tax breaks they get here.

do the amish believe in contraception?

No. But Sex is not to them what it is to you and I. It's a convenant with their family, wife (or husband, of course) and their community. If they are able to have kids, raise them effectively and spend the right time with them to make them the best kids they can - they have a kid. Most of an Amish life is too busy for fucking for fun.

Even Teenagers subscribe to this idea. That, and most of the true Amish are inbred. With no "new amish" coming in, even careful breeding (They are aware that it's nasty, but 2nd cousining and close lines do exist, it's not like brother / sister) is considered. Marriages are mostly "arranged" because of the wiser choices of the townspeople in the know. Other than that, they travel frequently to other towns at a young age to apprentice, establish, and raise a family in a different town. That's something very recent (like, in the 80s).

Many deep-amish towns are loaded with kids that have 6 fingers on each hand.

amish people don't order pizza and soda.... i'm sorry.

who ever you delivered to were not true amish.

i just checked cnn and it's 3 dead, all female. the gunman was 30 years old and NOT amish. he was just getting revenge on something that happened 20 years ago.

On the topic of Amish money:

The Amish are LOADED. They work for an honest day's pay, but they spend it on nothing. Nothing appeals to them.

Television and entertainment : The Amish aren't against it, persay - they just think it's stupid. Even kids don't get half the shit on TV or the radio, and no one really cares. Take a step back and look at how much stupid shit is on TV. 99% of it is lies, even the news programs. The Amish read a lot, and they watch news just to see whats going on.

Cars: The Amish own cars. trucks, mostly. They own the trucks to do things that the horses can't do, or shouldn't be bothered doing. Horses are a prefered mode of transportation, but more precisely are viewed as more valuable and respectable than to be complete beasts of burden. Amish horses are VERY well cared for, and live better than you or I or even some Amish do.

Computers: The Amish run businesses. Almost all of them are held together by commerce. They use computers for a brief period everyday to do their record keeping, webpage management and planning. They are limited in time not by any culture, but because they are run by Generators.

Lights: The Amish have electricity in the home, but it's not like there are outlets in every room. They have electricity where it is needed (like .. say.. bird incubators) but for lights they usually run oil fired lamps. Both out of convenience and by the fact that come night fall, they are really fucking tired and they tend to go to bed.

Social principles: Women don't vote. Men do, but not often. They live outside of the government rules of Zoning, marriage, abortion, and whathave you. So their vote doesn't matter at all. Women haven't complained about this condition primarily because they really don't care. And neither do men. They may have re-written the books since I lived with them, but chances are they haven't. Girls wear dresses because it's easier to wear dresses and do their "women's work". It gets hot, they prefer dresses. There is no rule stating that they can't wear pants. They just don't want to. Just like there are no rules that english men can't wear dresses. They just don't want to.
Amish men wear suspenders, and not belts, but I have no clue why. I think it's just another of those things. The Amish own belts, I own amish belts. It's just not stylish, I guess.

An elder mentioned something to me about not wearing a mustache because of something that Hitler did. I don't believe it though, because they pulled my leg quite a bit. So I have no clue why most men don't have mustaches. More and More amish aren't wearing beards at all lately. Goatees are just considered sloppy and in poor taste.

The Amish don't like being photographed. They will come out and yell at you for photographing their kids. This is just a parental thing. It has nothing to do with that "cameras steal our souls" bullshit. Not even the Amish believe that. They just don't appreciate people coming around and photographing them anymore than you would. If you ask an Amish gentleman (Gentleman only) if you can have your picture taken with him for a souvenir he will gladly oblige.

And I say "Gentleman only" because the women don't speak for the family. that's about the only social injustice going on there. The men make the call, not the women. The women make a more important call: They decide on matters of their family. What people will eat, what chores they get, and how they are raised. They are mostly glad to give up the responsibility of showing out-of-towners around the farm. But I know many Amish families that speak to me freely and openly - they like me because I learned to respect them at an early age. In fact, they mostly remember me from many many years ago.

I give them rides into town. If it's too hot for the horses, or the ride has to be made quickly (We're outta Talcum there young feller) then I'll give them a ride into town. They have no licences because it's worthless to get one. Several of them do have licences to drive.

the Amish are Dutch. They speak Dutch mostly. I'm half Pennsylvania Dutch, which is a mild off-shoot culture of bible-belt americana. Our accent is half Northerner, half "Boomhower from King of the Hill" and if you've spoken to me in person you can hear my Pennsylvania Dutch come out.

Menonites are different, but are often considered similar because of their close location to the Amish. I think the Menonites are very different. I know nothing official about the Menonites outside of "You better not date mah daughter" type of shit.

Education: The Amish are very intelligent. They aren't going to be taking the Fields Award in Mathematics anytime soon, but they know forestry, husbandry, arborism, and natural sciences well enough to be professors at universities.

Friendliness: The Amish that you see at the tourist joints are completely full of shit. They are friendly so you'll drop a quarter and be on your way. REAL amish are genuinely friendly, and enjoy talking to you all day to share ideas and conversations. You'll rarely be in an area to "run into" genuine Amish folks unless you're GPS unit has lead you 100s of miles astray from the highway. You'll also bump into them if you're into Windmills, or know a good guide to the backwoods to get you into their lairs. The Meyersdale Windfarms in Pennsylvania are setup in the middle of Amish country.

When I returned to the amish in 2003, I had my 91 Civic hatch. I pulled into town and believe me - I was the ONLY motherfucker around with an import car. When I rolled into town everyone looked at me like I was from the future. Airjockie's Konig Heliums looked like wagon wheels to them (The kids loved it) and they had trouble understanding how I saw out of my windows. They also marvelled at how small it was and how it made their chest rumble. It was a hoot. Mark, the leathersmith, asked me what kind of car it was. I said "It's a Honda" "Honda oh ? Who makes that , Ford or Chevy?"

I love that town :)

And on Amish pizza: The amish do go out for food on a rare occasion. Most of the food is gross to them (Once you've eaten a hamburger, corn and potatoes on a Pennsylvania farm, all else will taste like shit). But Pizza is one of those things that they do eat. They'll go to town for it. The Amish also love Long John Silvers.

Amish do NOT have telephones.

The Amish don't have telephones or electricity not because of electricity or telephones, but because of utilities. They are not allowed to put anything in the ground, poles included. No Amish should be below the ground, to do so is tempting death. Amish homes don't have basements, nor foundations. Amish men and business owners have Cell phones, their computers are also using cell phones as modems.

This is prolly why the Amish don't like people taking pictures of their kids:

newt1.1600.amish.whtm.jpg

They aren't really photogenic. (Photo courtesy CNN.com)

And on Amish pizza: The amish do go out for food on a rare occasion. Most of the food is gross to them (Once you've eaten a hamburger, corn and potatoes on a Pennsylvania farm, all else will taste like shit). But Pizza is one of those things that they do eat. They'll go to town for it. The Amish also love Long John Silvers.

Amish do NOT have telephones.

The Amish don't have telephones or electricity not because of electricity or telephones, but because of utilities. They are not allowed to put anything in the ground, poles included. No Amish should be below the ground, to do so is tempting death. Amish homes don't have basements, nor foundations. Amish men and business owners have Cell phones, their computers are also using cell phones as modems.

and here's where I call BS. I see Amish with cell phones ALL the time.

Edit after reading all of it: and it's not just business owners either. The older sons have them, the men of the households have them.

Well, I guess since most are in business for themselves, they would be business owners. But still... they have modern technology, yet no electricity... except for the few with generators in their barns. :D

Last edited:
and here's where I call BS. I see Amish with cell phones ALL the time.

Edit after reading all of it: and it's not just business owners either. The older sons have them, the men of the households have them.

Well, I guess since most are in business for themselves, they would be business owners. But still... they have modern technology, yet no electricity... except for the few with generators in their barns. :D

"after reading it" you should see that you said exactly what I just said. Also, many of whom are 15 or so, may not seem it to you, ARE the men of the house. They are married and may have a kid at that age. They run businesses at that age too. So it's wrong to consider them as surprisingly immature to own a phone, or a business.

Most of them don't have beards. Around here beard = married.

I see them clean shaven talking on cell phones in their buggies all the time up at Meijer off IN37 in Ft Wayne.

I'd rock one of these buggies.Well......if it had 16 switches and a picture of Jesus. OOOO....could do the mad tite JDM buggy with mugan rims,B18C5 swap, and red Bride seats

nah, that would be more of a lowider buggy if it had switches and a picture of Jesus on it.

what do the Amish think about cursing? do they curse? if they arent supposed to and someone in their community hears them cursing, what happens to them?

Back