Questions about the Amish - Post em here

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

there is an Amish community in LA off of La Brea.. all you see is Amish people walking down the streets w/ their black hats and full beards.. i feel sorry for the kids..

"after reading it" you should see that you said exactly what I just said. Also, many of whom are 15 or so, may not seem it to you, ARE the men of the house. They are married and may have a kid at that age. They run businesses at that age too. So it's wrong to consider them as surprisingly immature to own a phone, or a business.

Yes an no. I have met a LOT of amish people. A lot of them aren't business owners.

The workers at this furniture place use electric sanders, not to mention forklifts and electricity (lights, microwaves, refrigerators, etc) in the shop.

Modern technology vs old school religious beliefs. Who's winning?

Cel, how much did you explain about "honda" to them? I mean, if they are finally coming around and purchasing cars, someone needs to start them off on the right foot ;) Especially now that Honda has the Ridgeline to meet the needs of the truck demographic, be it rednecks, farmers, or the Amish lol
Although I dare say that ethnocentricity probably infects every square inch of the farmland in this country so badly that you will never see an import get any respect, even if it is assembled here and beats the hell out of the big 3 any day of the week.

nah, that would be more of a lowider buggy if it had switches and a picture of Jesus on it.

what do the Amish think about cursing? do they curse? if they arent supposed to and someone in their community hears them cursing, what happens to them?

Amish don't curse. Ain't no need.

And a Ridgeline isn't a truck, even an amish guy knows that.

there is an Amish community in LA off of La Brea.. all you see is Amish people walking down the streets w/ their black hats and full beards.. i feel sorry for the kids..

Dude, I think those are hasidic jews....

do they got the little "curly q" sideburns going down the side of their faces? is there funny squiggle lines in another foreign language on the sides of most buildings?

chances are they are jews.

Yeah, i don't know of an Amish sect in LA. I do, however, know of several Hassidim in the LA Area.

Most people confuse the two... but like I said earlier they couldn't be more different !

Hessitics are when "Orthodox Jew" isn't Jewish enough. The amish aren't "way way way christian"..

The jews in la, even the hassidic ones are a bunch of really nice, friendly (abeit with strange traditions and customs) people.

Hassidim in New York walk around with UZIs, AK47s and pockets full of diamonds. They have Grenades on them as well.

And it's all legal. Go figure.

Hmmm i didnt think amish bought computers but now that i think of it i bet they were amish and not meninites...

Hassidim in New York walk around with UZIs, AK47s and pockets full of diamonds. They have Grenades on them as well.

And it's all legal. Go figure.

I live on an indian reservation, and one day in Toppenish i saw a lady walking downtown with a shotgun in hand was weird. :eek:

NYC allows certain carry for security / body guards, and for those in the Diamond District who commonly walk around with pockets full of diamonds. Go there, you'll see it.

They have to conceal, but if someone is robbed, the full machinery comes out.

The jews in la, even the hassidic ones are a bunch of really nice, friendly (abeit with strange traditions and customs) people.
Funny the Hassidic in Lakewood, NJ are complete assholes. They think their above you. If you say something to them they won't even look at you let alone answer. I was a valet for one of their events and not only did they drive the most piece of shit cars, that smelled so bad you had to hold your breath, they also ran way past the time they set up and did not tip the crew I was with once, all while being complete shitheads.
Funny story from that night that cheered me up; we were parking in 4 different lots. One of the last cars of the night was in lot 4. The ticket said "Woody Taurus Wagon". I go to lot 4 and see it. I walk up and the key isn't working. I figure it's just a piece of shit so I try for another 5 minutes. Then I get so pissed that I say "Fuck this, I'll just tell the guy where it is and that I couldn't open it." I then turned around and saw a second Woody Taurus Wagon. Sure enough it was the right one, I just laughed that I hadn't seen one in years and now I confused two.

i am not sure if i am worthy of saying anything at all.....some of you seem to think i don't qualify to have an opinion on anything....however....the cops didn't shoot him..he blew his own brains out....and the amish people are ok...yeah they smell funny...but..hell...they have boat loads of money

Worthy of saying something ? Did we really put that idea forward ?

Where did we say that cops shot him ? The Amish that I know don't stink. They bathe regularly.

neither of these cultures are big on deodorant, Talcum all the way for the Amish. Jews, like most europeans, simply haven't learned the Tao of Mennen.

Back