Questions on block girdle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I am looking to re-enforce my b18b block without doing to sleeving. Would a block girdle and new rod bolts help? I was reading up on block girdles, and it seems to be a good thing for the LS motor. My question is what is "may requre line honing", and how likey is it that I will need to do that after I install the gridle?

you can use and OEM GSR/TypeR crank girdle, but you must use...

GSR/TypeR oil pan, pick up, 3 center main caps or you will not fit it all under the pan. They are great reinforcement for the LS block (or any for that matter). I think it is better than block gaurds or posting. I did this to my LS and it held up fine. as far as honing, it is recomended that you have it doen, because you are going to be useing different main caps, but as always you can go they cheap route and just wing it. I wouldn't.

matt

they "hone" your crank journals with the new caps to make sure it is 100% straight and not binding or offset with the crank (so it spins freely). If not done, it will cause major problems.

dang I really wanna avoid pulling my motor this year. Thats what next year is for (mmmm beefy sleeves). Can the rod bolts be replaced with out too much effort?

sma ething. if you are changing vital parts that have to do with the rotating assembly, its always wise to have things honed and balanced. rods bolts hold your main bearings. not something to just br throwing in your car like a set of new bulbs! do it right the first time. what is your hurry?

the girdle won't give you the support you're looking for. it's designed to support the crank at high rpms.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 5 2005, 07:24 AM
the girdle won't give you the support you're looking for. it's designed to support the crank at high rpms.
[post=483069]Quoted post[/post]​

INTRESTING

he's talking about adding it as an alternative to re-sleeving. fact of the matter is, it has nothing to do with the sleeves. it supports the crank from 'wobbeling' for a lack of a better word when it gets spinning fast.
gsr/itr/ctr blocks have them stock.

I also keeps the block from twisting. thus helping keep the cylinders straight. I do agree, i does no replace sleeving or make the cylinder walls any stronger, but it does help...to a degree

i agree, not the support hes looking for, but didn't know it was to hold the crank. sweet thanks

Back