Questions on boosting a jdm b16...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
I am trying to fill in some blanks i had on boosting a b16. I know this is very vague, but will the stock block and head hold enough boost to put down 225hp. I am curious on if this is a decent daily driver number in the hp aspect. i have seen a lot of b16's run 190hp with no problems and they are quite quick. I don't want a huge turbo that will have shitty power lines and lots of lag. I want quick spool and a clean power curve and be good for 225hp. Help me with some ideas. thanks!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
I am trying to fill in some blanks i had on boosting a b16. I know this is very vague, but will the stock block and head hold enough boost to put down 225hp. I am curious on if this is a decent daily driver number in the hp aspect. i have seen a lot of b16's run 190hp with no problems and they are quite quick. I don't want a huge turbo that will have shitty power lines and lots of lag. I want quick spool and a clean power curve and be good for 225hp. Help me with some ideas. thanks!!!
I pieced together a kit for a customer using a log style manifold and a t25. Used a FMU for fuel. Used the internal wastegate w/ a manual boost controller and the most we could squeeze out the turbo was 10 lbs. he ended up blowing it up in like 2 weeks because of the lack of fuel (fmu's are gay) but before he did he threw it on the dyno (yeah I know what your thinking "he paid for dyno time but not to get tuned on the dyno and stick with the FMU?" you are correct) if i remember correctly, he made like 212whp. hope this gives you an idea.

BTW-if you didn't know, the t25 if a tiny ass turbo that would be at full spool by about 2500rpm's.

i think your on the right track...a t3 .48-.50 a/r will get you 225whp...i would use crome or another ems...with some 450cc dsm injectors and a nice log style mani you can build a heck of a set up...1.2-2.2k depending on parts and hook ups.....now...i wanted to let you know that you could drop CR by installing some ls pistons...i know its a little wierd that i say this but the pistons cost aprox 160 bucks with rings .....and the drop CR will let you run a lttle more boost and the tuning will be a little easier...however they are cast not forged.....just like the stock b16 pistons in there now...just a thought....

FMU?
:bash:

there is 100% NO good reason to use an fmu anymore.
none.

unless you have a carb'ed motor, fmu's on honda's are like running a commadore 64 for a server.

225 is a moderate goal that you can hit easily. a t25 on a b16 is ill-matched. the b16's VE is over what a t25 is good for really.

go for a straight t3 super 60 or something along those lines.
score some dsm 450's
crome it up

is there a link for crome? also, is there a site, ebay listing, or reputable seller for a reasonable turbo kit? thanks again.

i would piece together your own kit....its easy
turbo
manifold
injectors
mandrel bend (for intercooler piping)
intercooler
down pipe
waste gate(or buy an internal wastegated turbo)
BOV
3 bar map sensor
crome(chipped p28)
wide band O2
boost gauge

this might seem like alot of stuff but its WAY cheaper than buying a kit....
or buy a full race kit....

http://forum.pgmfi.org/index.php?sid=5a54d...6d4c4ff64aed6e6

that is a link to a great forum...look for crome

tunewithcrome.com

or the crome forum on pgmfi.org

i wouldnt run anything with a .48 exhaust housing. 225 on a b16a isnt too hard, but youll need a bigger sized turbo.

i wouldnt run anything smaller than a t3 60.63 on a b series perioid. shit i personally would never run anything smaller than a t3/t4 60 trim .63 ex housing on any of my personal cars.

My low compression b16a made 232 on a 50 trim turbo with a .48 exhaust side, 50 a/r compressor... Upgraded basically the entire turbo kit (57 trim/.60ar compressor, .63 exhaust side) except the intercooler and made 263, then finally upgraded the intercooler and made 325, no other changes. All these numbers are at the same boost level.

It's all in the air management! You can make 225 EASY on 8 psi with 10:1 compression and a good sized turbo with a healthy intercooler.

Back