Questions on D16Z6 (P20/B000) transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zueke

Hey Guys, it's been a long time since I posted on the website, but hopefully some of the old timers remember me.

I've kept up my 1994 Del Sol for a while now, but recently it's transmission is acting up a bit. At a random RPM between 1500 and 4000 the transmission will change volume from almost silent (like a new transmission) to a loud sound like a worn, old transmission thats under hard acceleration. I've talked to a few people that describe it as 'the transmission singing'.

My initial guess is that the bearing set on the main shaft of the transmission have gone bad. I know it's a common problem with the P20/B000 (D16Z6 tranmission), since my brother's Del Sol had the identical problem. I hope to this weekend get out and check the trans. fluid level to make sure it's not something simple. Outside of that, I guess I'll need a new tranny soon. So:

If I pick up a used transmission, I know any D-series from 92-00 should bolt on, but do the shift linkages match exactly as well? Are there any additional parts I'd need for a tranny swap?

I've looked at the gear ratios but I don't have a good feel for the acceleration 'hit' I'll encounter if I end up with a 96-00 civic transmission. Has anyone done this and has input to share? I'm not really racing this thing, but merging on to the freeway quickly is always nice.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone in the Michigan area with a spare good working D series tranny, send me a PM.

Are you going to R&R the tranny, if so you could probable put bearings in it yourself. minor rebuild kits don't cost that much. I do have a 93 SI trans that's fresh for sale.

Dude, that was a year and a half ago. Thanks for the input, but it's far too late. Already replaced the tranny with one from a civic dx, and it gets better gas mileage now than it ever did before.

SO SORRY .... I didn't look at the date, just try'n to help:(

Back