1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on the A20

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 89accordsalo, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 89accordsalo

89accordsalo New Member

Well since i just got a 89 accord lx and its my first car. I want to know why people have this kind of intake manifold on a A20 engine, and what kind do they use because i want to get one because im pretty sure this gains some horsepower but not lots.

and instead of this, the stock one

So yea and also new to the forums :newbie:
  2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

top one is fuel injected (A20A3 / A20A4)
    bottom one is carbureted (A20A1 / A20A2)

thats a lot more than just an "intake manifold swap"
  3. intenseneal

intenseneal New Member

Yep the top one is from a LXi. I had a 89 LXi years ago, it was my first Honda and started my passion. Benefits of the PGMFI system are, a bit more hp and better fuel economy. The PGMFI swap is not the easies to do and you will need to have some wiring skills. You will need complete intake mani from LXi with all sensors ect, ECU for LXi along with wiring harness. I would not waste my time on this swap. The A20 motor is only a single cam 12 valve head, made for fuel economy and low emissions. The head design has poor flow and restricts the performance that the larger 2.0L bottom end should have. Dot get me wrong I loved my 89 LXi. I had 16 inch rims, lowered it, had Prelude Si suspension and brakes, SRI, Pacesetter header that fit like crap and a cat back with Magna Flow muffler. I ran great but was slow, had to really push it to keep up with a stock Civic with D15.
Draft saved Draft deleted