Quick head question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slow1pt7

I've got a B16A2 and have got a pretty bad tick noise. I open up the valve cover and the valve adjustments are pretty far out. What worries me is that I find that one of my valve spring retainers is chipped off on the edge. I just plan to buy some retainers from KMS but which ones do I buy? They offer an aluminum, chromoly steel, and titanium option. My head and motor are all pretty much stock. Would buying one give me any type of little extra edge or does it not really matter? The only thing I really plan on doing to this is your basic bolt ons, maybe a port and polish. Possibly a supercharger down the road. Thanks for any advice.

if you plan on supercharging it then definitely spend the extra cash and get titanium springs...It would be one less thing to worry about if you have any problems after u get it ':D charged...

I've got a B16A2 and have got a pretty bad tick noise. I open up the valve cover and the valve adjustments are pretty far out. What worries me is that I find that one of my valve spring retainers is chipped off on the edge. I just plan to buy some retainers from KMS but which ones do I buy? They offer an aluminum, chromoly steel, and titanium option. My head and motor are all pretty much stock. Would buying one give me any type of little extra edge or does it not really matter? The only thing I really plan on doing to this is your basic bolt ons, maybe a port and polish. Possibly a supercharger down the road. Thanks for any advice.

Anyone of them will work, titantium is the lightest. Not much of a performance gain really. I would just get a good factory one to fix your broken one. I have extras just laying around if you need one.

Nice link. I've been using hondapartsdeals.com but I like that one better. Should I just be replacing all of them or just the one? And do I need to have the head off completely just to do one?

I found that link on this forum. I have very little hands on knowledge about this, as you can see i'm new here to but as far as replacing valve spring retainers ( i have the same problem in a car I'm working on) for me anyway they are only a couple dollars each I'm leaing towards replacing them all as soon as i figure out how much and what work is involved

My service manager at our shop (family owned Honda-Suzuki motorcycle shop) says that he thinks the whole head should come off but he wasn't sure if all the retainers were needed. It doesn't look like it's going to be an easy job no matter what so I might as well do all of them so I don't have to do it again. Can anyone verify that the head does need to come all the way off or if there is a special tool you can use to do these in the car?

Back