quick question about a shift linkage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

L3g4cY

I just picked up a 98' EX and the kid said he had his friend put a short shifter in and he didn't put the thing in right or suttin so it still moves when its in gear. At first i figured he was an idiot and didn't install the bushing, but when you move the shifter around its hitting the exhaust too. So i got under it today to look and for some reason it just don't look like it belongs on that car. is there any difference between the 96-98 99-00 shift linkages? i know the kid that "supposedly" put the short shifter in (its not a short shifter btw) and he's the type that would swap the linkages if he needed it. I'm just not sure about the new civics i'm used to 92-95 ones. Like directly under the shifter its got an extra hunk of steel welded on like its back-weighted or something is this normal?

Any help would be nice.

All 92-00 D-series Civics use the same shift linkage. The 99-00 Civic Si used a different linkage as it was a B-series, but this linkage is not compatible with a D-series transmission. Most linkages have a round hunk of steel welded on them close to where the shifter is, I believe it's some sort of counterweight or something.

Has the exhaust been modified? It's not uncommon for a cheesy aftermarket exhaust to not clear the shifter.

its actually an ebay short shifter i was told and is longer than it should be hence why it hits the exhaust. I've already ordered a dc short shifter to remedy the issue see if it works when it comes in.

Back