quick? questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iron 1

I've searched these forums along with others for a while and finally came up with my motor...
panda d16, warlbro 255l fuel pump, 550cc injectors, hondata s200, fmic, 3" exhaust.
I'm hoping for 13psi daily, and 20 at the track.
Here come the questions:
1. is this even realistic?
2. Is it even possible to have different boost levels while using the Hondata?
3. Do I need to sleeve the block? (the guy at the machine shop said that D series are already pretty strong)
4. any suggestions on a turbo that would work for my setup/goals?
5. the closest dyno for tuning is 200 miles away, is it safe to drive over, or should I tow it?
6. anybody else have this set up? it'll be in a 89 h/b
Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

1. If you build the block first, yes
2. Yes
3. No, but you should if you want to run 20psi on any kind of decent turbo
4. Dunno, me = all motor guy
5. Get a boost controller, set boost to zero, then drive over- make sure you're not building any boost pressure while driving first... and 200 mile tows are EXPENSIVE, I should know
6. Not me

1. Realistic? yes...be sure the hondata is tuned well

2.yes

3. Sleeving is good if you have the extra money, however that alone will not prevent you from blowing your motor. If you are gonna run 13 psi usually, id save the money for sleeving and spend it on dyno tuning :)

4. depends how fast you want spool, and how much power you want to put out

id go with a smallish t3, or a 16g, or even a t3/t04b...something around .48 ex. a/r should do well

5. run on the basemap and stay out of boost

hehe set the boost controller to 0 psi? the wg spring provides the minimum boost, you cant go lower...boost controller raises boost only :)

6. no

good luck on the turbo d y0- be sure to get a clutch that can handle the power, as well as a lsd...it will be worth it

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 16 2003, 02:27 AM
5. Get a boost controller, set boost to zero, then drive over- make sure you're not building any boost pressure while driving first... and 200 mile tows are EXPENSIVE, I should know

and STILL not have this work. :p

boost controllers only RAISE boost. the minimum setting is set at the wastegate spring.

go back to your all motor camp foo! :lol:

1. yes
2. yes- you can either tune on 1 rom for both boost settings, or tune two totally seperate rom chips and simply plug in the race tune when you want to run the larger tune.
3. its not cost effective to do so. for the 1000 you are going to pay to get it sleeved, you could buy 7-10 used d-blocks if /when you crack a sleeve.
4. t3/t4 .57 a/r would be nice :)
5. make sure you get a absemap from your hondata dealer with a semi-close tune. drive it, but drive like a grandma- 5th gear by 40 mph. NO BOOST. stay in vacuum the whole time and you won't hurt anything.
6. not me.

Thank you all for your answers, I am amazed at how fast your replies were!
I wasn't too sure about that boost controller at 0 psi...
what boost controller would you guys recommend?
how does elevation effect the tuning? (I live at 4500 feet, and the tuner is close to sea level)?
Thanks again for the quick reply's, I appreciate it!

the profec B is a great simple boost controller A-B setting kinda thing, which sounds is what you are after.
a step up, the apex avcr, is just bad ass. its more complex and harder to work, but it has many more features.

as for your tuning issue..... 4500 feet up is a big difference in air pressure. im not really sure which way this goes.... i think you will be pulling in LESS air, so if anything, you will run richer, not lean.
maybe tune for around 12.4:1 on the dyno, then when you are back home, it will bring you to 12:2-12.0:1 a/f ratios. Again, im not sure on this. consult with your tuner.

Since I am already spending the money for the motor build, is it worth it to get Nitrous? I am curious because I'm already doing the swap, have a dry kit, and the hondata is only a $125 upgrade. If so should I use it in the early RPM's before the turbo has spooled up, or with the turbo for max power? And if neither could it be used for the intimidation factor, for the ricers? I would think that the BOV along with a nitrous-purge should scare any of the ricers in this town! hahahaha
thanks again for all of your help!!

Back