quick way to remove CV Axles?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nastynate

lowridin' Sol
I'm about to pull my motor and the only thing stopping me at this point is taking out the cv axles. I already unbolted the lower ball joints, and they dont want to separate from the spindle. I have a ball joint press, but the cv axle is directly in the way to use it. Is there any other way to separate them other than using a pickle fork?

1. Put the lower ball joint castle nut 3/4 of the way back on.
2. Make sure wishbone bolt is still in.
3. Jack up on the lower ball joint castle nut quite a bit.
4. Use a HEAVY hammer and hit the lower control arm right at the ball joint. (there is a little teet there for you to hit.)
*** Don't bother with a normal light hammer. It takes one or two good thwacks with a maw and you'll see/hear it pop out.
Works for me 100% of the time.

Don't forget to take the dampner fork bolt out before whacking away.Also a $10 ball-joint remover makes things easier.

Disconnect the LCA at the pivot, the swaybar, and the lower shock mount. disconnect the upper knuckle joint and remove the knuckle and LCA as a single unit. Changing the axle took me less than an hour, and saved me 20 minutes of whacking away at a ball joint. I've just about decimated that little teet on my integra's knuckles.

1. Put the lower ball joint castle nut 3/4 of the way back on.
2. Make sure wishbone bolt is still in.
3. Jack up on the lower ball joint castle nut quite a bit.
4. Use a HEAVY hammer and hit the lower control arm right at the ball joint. (there is a little teet there for you to hit.)
*** Don't bother with a normal light hammer. It takes one or two good thwacks with a maw and you'll see/hear it pop out.
Works for me 100% of the time.
:werd: and if you screw up your threads be ready to buy a new ball joint.

use a hacksaw, thats a pretty quick way :D j/k

Disconnect the LCA at the pivot, the swaybar, and the lower shock mount. disconnect the upper knuckle joint and remove the knuckle and LCA as a single unit. Changing the axle took me less than an hour, and saved me 20 minutes of whacking away at a ball joint. I've just about decimated that little teet on my integra's knuckles.

:werd:

Except I don't disconnect the upper knuckle. I just push stuff enough out of the way so that I can get axles in and out. Works like a charm.

:werd:

Except I don't disconnect the upper knuckle. I just push stuff enough out of the way so that I can get axles in and out. Works like a charm.

To be honest, I didn't disconnect the upper knuckle ether, I was just listing it, noting that it would make sliding the shaft out easier.

Back