quite the dilema

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alaskancodkiller

I keep getting job offers to leave my current job, some of them are up to $5/hr more... I got an offer to run a cabinet warehouse last week, quite a bit more money.. it sounds great.

the only problem is that I have an amazing boss, the best I could ever hope for. actually treats me like a friend, instead of an employee. takes me out to the bar, doesn't mind when I show up late, and doesn't ride my ass. hell next weekend we're going skydiving!!

would you give up the perfect job for more money??

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM
I keep getting job offers to leave my current job, some of them are up to $5/hr more... I got an offer to run a cabinet warehouse last week, quite a bit more money.. it sounds great.

the only problem is that I have an amazing boss, the best I could ever hope for. actually treats me like a friend, instead of an employee. takes me out to the bar, doesn't mind when I show up late, and doesn't ride my ass. hell next weekend we're going skydiving!!

[post=533623]Quoted post[/post]​

Have you asked your perfect boss from your perfect work for a raise? That would be just puuuuuuuurfect.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jul 31 2005, 01:46 PM
Happiness > Money.
[post=533625]Quoted post[/post]​

+1

Besides you and always tell your friend boss that you got an offer and see what his reaction is. Such that he wants to pay you more to stay their. Then again all the after and durning hours perks that the perfect boss give you could be considered a type of payment that the new job will or would not offer.

I would be open with your boss and let him know you keep getting job offers for X many dollars. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you more money.

5+ bucks an hour adds up, that's an extra $200 a week. for those of you that can't add, thats $800 a month! you could buy a new M3 for that.

yea, I wish I could just up an make 5 extra bucks an hour. But right now I'm chillin at about $13-17 an hour, but I can come in when I want, leave when I want, take my break wehn I want and never have anyone bitching at me.

I've had a bunch of other offers, but they aren't competing well. They want to give me a set $630 a week.

I actually might give up my job and work at USPS. Yes the Post Office, the benefits make up for the $15/hr.

I can picture you working at the USPS =)

somehow random people would receieve babies in the mail. I can see it on the news now =)

gotta get rid of em somehow...better than my pervious choices.

I'm j/k for the slower people.

thanks for the replies guys, they helped confirm my decision to stay. as far as another raise, I've asked and it won't happen. I've already gotten my 90 day, a raise for not going to Alaska, and anoother for not going to home depot. my boss knows that I'm getting offers from other companies, he answered the phone when the last guy called... told me that if anybody tried to steal me for more money he'd go kick there ass. hahahah

I think that I'll get an extra job from like 2-6...

I just left my well paying job ($18 an hour) because the work environment sucks. I used to get insulted and called a failure - even when my projects went right. The environment sucked, and wasn't worth any money to stay there.

I say keep the job that you enjoy.. the money will come later. Once, when I was driving pizzas I told my boss that another shop stopped me and offered more money - and he said "Yeah ? I don't know what people are paying. But you're a good kid, I'll match it" and he did.

:werd:

Working at a job you hate is no good, even if you get paid more.

I'm averaging out probably about 10k less per year at Lockheed Martin (gap will close with overtime) compared to what I was making at Halliburton, but I love what I do now MUCH more than what I did at the big red H. I much prefer working for less but enjoying what I do. If you love your job, your pay will go up. You don't get promoted in a job that you hate- you just don't perform as well.

If you're not in a job with major promotional opportunities, I would talk to your boss and tell him that you like working for him, but that you're getting offers from other places and you don't know what to do about it. That, or you can ask him if he could match their offers. It all depends on how good your relationship with your boss is. I would NOT count all the extra stuff that you get outside of work as compensation. It helps, but it's not pay that you can take home.

Talk to people that you know who work at the other places that you're getting offers from. See how their supervisors are, how much they enjoy their jobs, what they like/dislike about the positions etc- that will give you more information that you can use to decide whether or not you want to jump companies.

I'd put it like his.

Do you enjoy your job?

Do you get paid enough at your current job?

Are you in debt?

Do you really need the extra cash?

What's the wifey doing (if any)?

If you answered yes to 1 and 2, then leave it at that. Don't move on.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jul 31 2005, 02:46 PM
Happiness > Money.

I love my job. even though i only get paid $9.25/hr. all i do here is sit on the internet with you bastards and sell the occasional battery. a few days ago i made a delivery to Stockbridge, MA. that was fun. its the typical 8 hour day, but there are only three people employed here, so two people work a day. i'm either working with my boy, or with, i would have to say, the coolest and most random boss there is. the other day me and him were in the back at this table. he's like who's bag is that? i'm like its dave's. he said "oh thats gay" and walked away. that was hilarious, i still laugh about that.

it sucks that i have to leave it though. i would def stay here as long as possible. besides a handful of people, this job is what i am gonna miss most when i move. August 26 is the moving day.

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller@Jul 31 2005, 01:41 PM

Money isn;t everything...i turned down a job paying $7k more a year as a help desk level 2 ...and my where i currenty work, we have no future cause we were bought out 2 years ago..we bascialy are a run off unit handling current open claims...its only a matter of time beofre we are al layed off...BUT

My Boss's love me...i come and go as i please, i wear t-shirts and warm up pants to work, i take 1 and a half lunches.....i'm on the internet all day long....and the job is 10 minutes from my house....my hours are 7:30am to 3:30pm(usualy out my 3:15)

I would have to had traveled about 15 miles further in dead stop busy ass traffic going into downtown hartford, dress up with tucked in buttn downs and slacks and dress shoes, pay for parking in a lot, walk 1/2 a block to the building... and worked 11m to 8pm with required overtime....and some weekends

So to me money is not everything

Originally posted by alaskancodkiller+Jul 31 2005, 02:41 PM-->

yes. But, it's gotta be more than $5 / hr.

I'd be a jizz moper for 3 years if they paid me 100k a year. i'd hate every minuete of it, but every other friday, it would all be worth it.

long term, it would suck.

short term, it would be livable.

Blanco
@Jul 31 2005, 02:46 PM
Happiness > Money.

if its CLOSE enough.. i don't think its worth the move.

figure 5/ hr raise = 200 more a week, 400 more a paycheck....

but then you get fucked into the higher tax bracket, and your 400 becomes like 140.

I got a 5k raise last year, and my take home went up $73 a check, or 146/month.

146x12 months = 1752

not even CLOSE to 5k.

lol

so keep that in mind too.

I haven't had a raise in 2 years.. my boss is too damned cheap. I saved her company (bail bonds) from going under. I've stepped up as manager and skip chaser and reeled in a crapload of bad guys, saved this company over a million dollars.. and still, no raise in two years. I can't bitch too much though, I can show up late, leave early, take off whenever I want.. And I get a hell of alot of travel out of the deal. Last year I hunted a guy down at bullhead city, AZ.. which is like, 1.5 hours from vegas. Had hella fun. All expenses paid. The job does not pay well at all, but it stays interesting.. always changing. And I have my own secretary! woot!

I prefer being here over some other job that pays 5 bucks more an hour..

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 1 2005, 03:30 PM
I haven't had a raise in 2 years.. my boss is too damned cheap. I saved her company (bail bonds) from going under. I've stepped up as manager and skip chaser and reeled in a crapload of bad guys, saved this company over a million dollars.. and still, no raise in two years. I can't bitch too much though, I can show up late, leave early, take off whenever I want.. And I get a hell of alot of travel out of the deal. Last year I hunted a guy down at bullhead city, AZ.. which is like, 1.5 hours from vegas. Had hella fun. All expenses paid. The job does not pay well at all, but it stays interesting.. always changing. And I have my own secretary! woot!

I prefer being here over some other job that pays 5 bucks more an hour..
[post=533943]Quoted post[/post]​

Hell, all expenses paid? I'd be staking out the strip clubs for skippers 24/7 y0, You know the kind of element that hangs out there :)

Back