R.I.P. Del Sol 1993-2005

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The only way to come away from this completely satisfied is to pull a Jekyl and Hyde and turn into a complete asshole. Do everything you have the capacity and grounds to do to make their lives hell. Leave 10 voicemails a day. Don't accept any offer that you're not comfortable with. They can't settle the case till you accept their offer.

If they start bullying you, THEN get a lawyer. Hopefully a competent one that won't just settle the case without your input and rape you IDB.

That happened to my grandmother. She was sitting at a light in the turn lane along with my mom, my aunt, and my cousin. They got taken out by some retarded douchebag kid in a K5 blazer. He was only carrying liability, and his insurance company wanted to leave my family out to dry. My grandmother had severe whiplash, my mom hurt her knee, and nothing really happened to my aunt and cousin.

My grandmother ended up needing neck surgery. HER insurance company ended up paying for it because dipshit only had liability.

What company did the guy have? Just curious. I've had my cars hit twice. BOTH while they were parked.

State farm had my check THE NEXT DAY. And geico had my check to me in the mail in about a week and a half.

I currently get my insurance through state farm.. Good experiences pay off :wink:

Call a few attorneys and see if they would be willing to take a case. Tell 'em they are offering an unfair amount for the vehicle and have inconvenienced you for several days. A good attorney should get 6k for the car and a settlement for the inconvenience. Hell, let him keep the settlement as payment, just snag the 6k for the car.

normally YOUR insurance company will pay medical etc, and then go after the other guys insurance to cover thier costs...

and liability = covers you if you are liable for an accident...
that ins company should have paid becuse liability includes medical liabilities up to 25 or 50K, at least in NY it does...

and i;m afraid you're kind of fucked...

they will only give you book value, and they will usually do a portion of any upgrades, such as if you just paid 400 for a tranny, they will give you 100 back...

i would suggest you go see a doctor NOW, neck injuries tend to take a bit of time to surface...
medical is your only shot at getting any compensation...

they should pay for your rental car, lost time at work, full book value of your car...
you can try and argue replacement value over book value...

sue for something along to lines of "loss of use" and "sedimental value"

contact a lawyer... most of the guys on the bus ads will talk to you for free...

Quoted post[/post]]
sue for something along to lines of "loss of use" and "sedimental value"

contact a lawyer... most of the guys on the bus ads will talk to you for free...

lol, no bus-ad, ambulance-chasing lawyer for me...My parents have a good competent one they use for their business. There was no medical issue whatsoever, I'm not hurt, so I can't so for "pain and suffering"--I believe that's only if you are physically injured. Basically, I want more than book value for a car that's irreplaceable to me, my money back for towing, rental, and a sum for major inconvience while my friends and family had to take me to work before I had the rental, not to mention the hours upon hours I have spent on the phone with these idiots, I'm sure my cell phone bill will be interesting when I get it.

sedimental value? your car was made of dirt, nick?

:werd: :withstupid:

i agree with E's comment, i've seen many a trials won on the emotial distress grounds. go for that shit yo :thumbsup:

Quoted post[/post]]
State farm had my check THE NEXT DAY. And geico had my check to me in the mail in about a week and a half.

:werd: State Farm :thumbsup:

they gave my mom a little more than book value for her van(book value was $3k, they gave her like $3700).

Call your insurance company if you have full coverage, tell them you arent getting anywhere with the other company. Your company not wanting to pay the claim for an accident that isnt there responsibility will persue it. Also, if the police report isn't done yet some insurance companies will start to pay if the cop tells them whos fault the accident was.

I haven't posted on here for months (years?) but I troll from time to time, and this is pretty much right up my alley. I'm a claims adjuster/appraiser, so let me give you our side's POV/suggestions for best results.

1. GET RID OF THAT $40/DAY RENTAL CAR. Now even though it looks like car rentals are a bit more expensive down there in FL, $40/day probably wouldn't fly. Like it or not, your car was a 2-seat economy-type vehicle. Even if they do end up paying for it, they don't have to pay the entire thing. Even if it goes to court. "Mitigation of damages" is a common law term that basically means that even though the other guy caused the damage to your vehicle, it is your responsibility to keep the costs as low as possible. Having your vehicle towed from the scene to your residence to minimize storage costs at a towyard is a good example of this, and you should be reimbursed the full amount for that. As for the rental, most insurance companies have contracts with (or at least are solicited by) specific rental companies to provide lower rates, and you should ask either your carrier or his who they recommend so that you can keep the costs down (this will help you in the wallet area anyway).

2. (for everyone else) Sentimental value has no bearing on the value of the claim. Unfortunately, the company can only pay you for quantifiable damages, and while your love for the car may be worth a million bucks, it's not a measurable damage.

3. If your parents' attorney is on retainer and it won't cost you anything to have them take care of you, great. If you pay them on a per-instance basis, it probably won't be worth it. Any additional money they are able to get you might cover their fees, and if it doesn't then what's the point? It's questionable as to whether they can help anyway, because property damage claims are generally not negotiable as the damages are again quantifiable.

4. The ACV or actual cash value of the vehicle is usually a lot closer to valid than what most people think. It's typically calculated by a third-party company (CCC or ADP are the most popular) which actually does a decent amount of research to come up with values that stand in court more often than not. They survey dealers, DMV records and classified listings daily and keep a pretty hefty database of recent selling prices and current asking prices for cars in the area, and compare their options w/ yours. One thing on your side would be the Samba Green paint--make sure you explain to them that it is a rare paint color and that you want that information to be provided to the valuation company so that they can adjust it upward.

5. I never recommend that people retain the salvage on total loss vehicles. The reason for this is that the whole reason it's a total is that it's more expensive to fix it than to replace it. This means that you'll either be paying additional money to fix it, or you're gonna have some shoddy work done and that's not safe. And your title will be branded anyway! Which means lower resale value later on, and if its damaged beyond repair in another accident in the future, your settlement will be even lower than this one. Always a better bet to let the insurance company get rid of the car, as they'll pay you for what they get for it at auction anyway.

6. There's more, but I'm tired. I'll write some more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info. As far as the rental, 40 day is the basic car. I'm driving a fucking Hyundai Elantra that's giving me back aches. I paid for the extra insurance as well, and I got their insurance rate. So, it is a basic car, it's not like I'm driving a Infiniti G35 (which they had there).

Is 6,000.00 a reasonable price? That's the average going price on autotrader.com for a 93-94 Del Sol Si that is Samba Green. No way I am accepting 3300 for my car.

Update--After calling the insurance commisioner on them, it lit a fire under their asses. They are still offering me 3301.50 for the car, or 2456.xx to keep it, regardless, I need to send in the title. Fuck them.

When I go to court, I need to prove that the car/color/model is not so easily obtainable. Does anyone know where I can get statistics from Honda saying just how many Samba Green Del Sols were produced from 94-95? The average price is still like 5k on ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, etc for the exact same car that I had. I printed out all of that saying the average price.

i think you're fighting a losing battle. they have better lawyers...

unfortunately, color is not a factor in any of the online things like KBB...

If they operate they way they have done with my claim, I'm pretty sure they have NO lawyers. This company is by far the most unprofessional business I have ever seen or heard of. This isn't the first time I have heard of bad experience with them, a girl at work just got her claim resolved when I got in an accident, she wasn't at fault and someone from Direct General hit her.

Financially, I'm not going after the value of the car. I'm going to have money in emotional stress, incovience, negligence, etc. I just want something saying the car is worth more than 3300.00.

The saga is coming to an end. I called the insurance company and said, I want 5,000.00 and you take the car, 4,500.00 and I keep the car, or I get lawyers for bad faith, negligence, and emotional stress. They agreed, so now I have the choice--take the 4500, part it out, take of the wheels, and take the 5000, or continue to proceed legally. IMO, I think I stand to make more money via settlement or court, but I don't know if it's worth it.

doubt ful.

you might make more money, but then there's lawyers fees, court fees, taxes, etc etc...

i'd take the 4500 + the car.
part it out.

Back