R.I.P. Del Sol 1993-2005

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This thread is never going to die...I get a letter from Direct Insurance in the mail today, so I assume it's my check for 2133.49 or some shit + 55.00 for towing. WRONG. I get this, directly quoted,

"Dear Mr. Nordness,:

Direct has received your tow bill in the amount of $65.00. Attched you will find the check for the tow bill. We have also received your rental bill for the amount of 2133.49. I have reviewed the rental bill for reimbursement. As we made you aware when this claim was reported to us. We were trying to make contact with out named insured before we could accept liability on the claim. You faxed us the long form police report on December 7, 2005. At that time we accepted liability based on the police report itself.

Direct is not responsible for your rental expensive during the time we are investigating coverage. We are responsible for your rental charges starting on December 07, 2005 to January 3, 2006.

I have enclosed a check to you for the amount of $1290.91. This is 28 days of rental at $16.99 a day, plus surcharge of 72.00 plus tax of $67.63, which brings us to the total amount of $1290.91.

If you have any further questions regarding this matter, please feel free to contact our office at the above listed number. Thank you for your assitance in this matter.

Sincerely,
Starr Davis
Claims Adjuster
1-800-403-1077 Ext 6185

Is it just me, or does this idiot have the punctuation/sentence structure of a 4th grader?

I was just going to take a check for 4500.00 for my car, and the rental bill, but now I am suing the ever-loving shit out of them. I tried for 30 FUCKING DAYS to get in contact with this bitch, and left at least 1 voicemail a day. Finally, I had to spend my own time/gas/energy driving to the Bay County Sherriff's Office, getting the police report, and faxing it over myself. My Nextel bill(s) clearly show how many times I have attempted to contact them since November 1st. Now she says she isn't going to pay beacuse she couldn't get ahold of the white trash fuck to say he was at fault. I told her the very first time we spoke that I have 3 witnesses who could all verify he was at fault. She said it wasn't necessary, and that the police report would state he was at fault. At any rate, what the fuck does it matter?! If the police report states he was at fault when it happened, 1:55 pm on November 1st, then they start covering a rental car for me at 1:55 pm on November 1st.

A great start to a fucking weekend. I am getting hammered, Seattle is going to win against Washington, and I'll be consulting a lawyer Monday morning at 9 am.

I need some legal advice here...Been talking to several lawyers over the past 2 days, and all of them seem to be personal injury...Basically, I need to recoup the costs of the rental car, 1000.00+ at this point, and then sue for emotional stress, bad faith, negligence, etc...Anyone have advice as to what type of lawyer would be needed? I've talked to personal injury, civil trial, general practice, certified Florida BAR, and they all said that they don't do the type of case I need. One suggestred property damage, but I don't know why, the price of the car is taken care of.

Any past experiences or legal advice would be appreciated.

insurance comapny lawyers > any lawyer you can afford.

for the 2-3k that you're talking about, your lawyer is going to cost that much.

i'd say take them to small claims. no layers needed.

my thoughts exactly Brian.......Small claims will get a judge to listen and make a judgement. Just filing might get the insurance company off their asses.

I really think you should fix the car. Its not bad at all. If you were to buy the parts and bring me the car in NY i could fix it for nothing, all you pay is materials.

lol, I am keeping the car regardless, so I can always come into some money and have both...Isn't there a maximum of like 5k on small claims court?

i think its that...

are you after more?? if you see the 1000, i'll be impressed.

This is my letter, sent to them today:

"To whom it may concern,

The following is a demand letter before serving papers against your employer, Direct General Insurance Company, for the results following the accident that occurred on November 1st, 2005, claim # 891588.

I (Nicholas Nordness) have been in contact with Starr Davis at extension 6185 since November 2nd, 2005. Since then, it has been a nightmare attempting to get this situation resolved. As of January 27th, 2006, I received the check for my car in the amount of 4500.00, which was agreed upon by both parties (after several weeks of disputing.) What it being disputed is the amount of the rental car reimbursement. On November 7th, I obtained a rental car from Hertz, and explained the situation. They stated that I would need to get someone on the line from Direct General Insurance while I was in the office to direct bill the company, otherwise I would need to use a credit card. I attempted to use their phone twice, and called 800-403-1077 as well as 813-663-9550 with no response. I have two bills, totaling 2891.26 (one for 2133.49 from the rental car use from November 7th, 2005 to January 3rd, 2006, the other is 757.77 from January 3rd to January 24th, 2006.) I have received a check from Direct General in the amount of 1290.91, with the argument that:

“Direct is not responsible for your rental expensive during the time we are investigating coverage. We are responsible for your rental charges starting on December 07, 2005 to January 3, 2006.”

I have three credible witness’ stating that your insured was at fault, three separate people saw the accident, saw him fail to yield, and saw me make an attempt to avoid the accident at all costs. I also made it a point to ask the officer as to who was at fault. He stated that he cited him, and obtained all of his information first, because he was at fault and gave him a ticket for failure to yield. I advised Starr Davis of this, and she said it wasn’t necessary when we spoke on November 2nd, and stated that we will discuss the rental bill at a later time.

Furthermore, I personally had to drive up to Bay County Sheriff’s Office, and obtain the police report myself, after several attempts at calling Direct General, asking them if they had the report, or when they would have it, I was told that they have the short form, and that they needed the long police report. Every time I called, I was told it should be “within 3-5 days.” It was then, on December 7th that I drove to the office, obtained the report, and faxed it over at my inconvenience. The clerk at the office stated when I obtained it that they had the report for quite some time.

My Nextel records show that I called the insurance company on twenty-one separate occasions from November 1st to January 9th, 2006. These do not include the attempts I made while at work, as well. A voice mail was left every time, with my contact number. Since November 2nd, I have received five incoming calls from Direct General Insurance. My insurance agent also made several attempts to get this resolved, left several messages and received no response.

At this point, I am asking for the total bill of the rental car that I had to personally finance (2891.26 plus interest) plus damages for emotional stress, bad faith, and negligence during this entire ordeal. The total amount I am requesting is 4,500.00 dollars to cover the rental car bill on my credit card, as well as the damages for my severe inconvenience. The maximum amount allowed in small claims in that state of Florida is 5,000.00 dollars which is what I will seek if I do need to file a claim. There is no reason that an automobile accident dispute should last almost three months, and I feel I have done more than what should be required of the victim, given the circumstances. If I am not contacted with a settlement within 10 business days of January 31st, 2006, I will file paperwork and your company will be served. I do not feel that what I am asking for is unreasonable, as I have made several attempts to get this resolved out of court, with no response.

Sincerely,

Nicholas James Nordness

Contact Information:

Nicholas Nordness
Personal: 850-xxx-xxxx
Work: 850-xxx-xxxx"

Contact your local news station and give 'em your story. Here in CO, they have this "troubleshooter" guy, and he goes in with hidden cameras and busts all kinds of businesses. AND it all gets aired on public news. See what they can do.

Back