Radar detection

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

V1's not really that much more expensive than everyone else... and it's definitely worth it if you're in the market for a detector. The price differential between it and even mid range competitors is less than the price of one speeding ticket.

it's pointless to really need VG2

as far as legality i agree, but cops attitudes change for the worse when they see or know you have a radar detector... makes you look like more of a serial speeder, or "professional"... they frown upon that and turn into real da-dicks...

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 6 2004, 04:13 PM
it's pointless to really need VG2

as far as legality i agree, but cops attitudes change for the worse when they see or know you have a radar detector... makes you look like more of a serial speeder, or "professional"... they frown upon that and turn into real da-dicks...

That is exactly the main reason (and to deter theft) that I bought the Whistler Remote 3400 radar detectors for both my 90 and 95 Accords.

Click here to see the main page to my two install pics and guides.

In my 90 Accord as long as I turn off my ignition it would be very hard to see and in my 95 Accord if I flip up my ash tray there's no way to ever see it!

About the only thing you could ever see is the laser module on the windshield -which really doesn't look like a radar detector.

Bruce

Here in cali, you can try to fight a radar ticket, just don't if its a chp. All those guys do for a living is write tickets, work the radar, and make accident investigations and reports. You might be able to sway the judge with a city cop who doesn't really care. CHP officers get paid to go to court, and they don't make as much as city cops typically, so they like going to court, overtime pay, and they bring all the paperwork. I know, cuz I tried it.

The Valentine1 has a nice remote display option... I have it, just haven't installed it into my car yet.

20110hb.jpg

I'm planning on integrating the remote display into my dash behind a smoked piece of acrylic, then mounting the detector into a box at the top of my windshield- maybe disguising it into one of those overhead consoles that has a compass and temperature display on it. It will be totally hidden, and I'll still have 360 degree coverage. I just have to find time to do it.

Originally posted by Calesta+May 6 2004, 02:27 PM-->
MikeBergy
@May 6 2004, 12:57 AM
Moving radar uses the same radar as in stationary mode, it is just hooked into the police cars speed sensor, and takes the signal and adds or subtracts it from the police car's speed, depending on whether the car is going toward or away from the police car. The radar gun only emits one frequency of wave.

Yes- I was talking about the distinction between stationary ground based radar looking for airplanes and mobile radar that can be hitting you from above/below/side from a cop car. Most of the geometry on a stealth jet is designed to disperse radar that is coming from below so that it's not reflected back to the ground source- you would have a much more difficult time designing something that's able to disperse radar coming at it from all angles.

tdg- if you want to buy a Valentine1, the only way to do so new is to get it directly from V1. They don't sell in stores. They got mine to me in under a week.

www.valentine1.com

Thx for the info

yall dont need a radar jammer or a radar detector. If you pass a cop and your speedin downshift and hammer down....

*this advice is for entertainment purposes only. Dont actually try it, or blame me when the crown vic out runs your civic.*

Actually, the top speed of the crown vics is about 125. My friend's dad is a CHP, and he told me that is the highest he has ever gotten one of them to go. But don't mess around with the CHP's in the turbo volvos or the camaro ss'. They are WAAAAYYY faster. As far as the crown vics go, it took one about 10 minutes to catch me when I was racing this dude one late night home at around 115mph. Didn't even know the cop was there until we slowed down to get off the freeway. 100+ mph tickets are BAD. Shoulda gone to jail and had my car impounded, but I got lucky, and only had my license suspended for a month. Oh yeah, my insurance tripled.

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 6 2004, 03:17 PM
and i have heard that most of the jamming devices on the market do not work and are a waste of money

awhile back i saw something on tlc or discovery channel, where they tested some sort of radar jammer. they had a cop conduct the test and the jammer worked(they did it like 3 times)...they were not able to get a reading.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@May 6 2004, 12:15 AM
is there any way to modify the radar detector to essentially BLOCK the cops radar gun?

like it will intercept the signal, or put out a signal that messes with the cops radar.

yes, i know this is illegal, but i would totally do it, if it worked

YES!!!!!!!!

Ok, if you read the anarchist's cookbook, then it tells you to get one of those things that opens doors at the supermarket, how to modify it to do what youwant, and to mound it in your car's front bumper behind the grill.

What this does, is it sends out its own radar signal which in turn is recieved by the cop's gun, skrewing it up. I dont really know how radar works, but i think that by doing this you will also confuse the original signal and distort it as well. . . . the writer also says how this device will also set off other peoples radar detecotors and thye will slow down lol.

trust me i wouldnt listen to anything those 3 books have to say.
volume one was semi truth full with SOME true facts.most of the stuff in those
books will get you killed.the other 2 boooks were total bs and nothing worked.they were used to make money by the authore. when i was younger i cross referenced a lot of shit between that and discontinued millitary books and it's bad stuff...
when i was younger i was really distructive.not to go off topic. I apologize.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@May 8 2004, 08:23 AM
Actually, the top speed of the crown vics is about 125. My friend's dad is a CHP, and he told me that is the highest he has ever gotten one of them to go. But don't mess around with the CHP's in the turbo volvos or the camaro ss'. They are WAAAAYYY faster.

wait, CHP has volvos? where? I thought that CHP as a rule only bought american.

Originally posted by bcman+May 10 2004, 02:12 AM-->
MikeBergy
@May 8 2004, 08:23 AM
But don't mess around with the CHP's in the turbo volvos or the camaro ss'. They are WAAAAYYY faster.

You must be from california, damn those camaros .They blend right in with traffic.Even the lights are only 2 inches thick. ive never seen a volvo cop though.

Yeah, the volvos were a testing testing the waters for the chp a couple of years back. A few of the chp branches bought s60 turbos, the square models before volvo started making the ugly body styles. They are probably as fast if not faster than the camaros, my buddy was telling me. A couple other chps I ran into told me they don't like the camaros because their body armor doesn't fit well into the cramped camaro bucket seats. They are fast though, no messing around with thoose guys unless you are on a literbike.
Ps. No one can outrun the motorola ( a saying my dad has, refering to the police radio)

I've outrun cops a few times... but it's not something I'd want to repeat. The Crown Vics here in Texas are damn fast though! They get up and go a lot faster than you would expect. 125mph is about all they need- it's the acceleration that's important.

just a little info that i found out the hard way, for all you nutty fucks...

every point on your license increases your insurance by 10%...

NY has a point system

so if you get a failure to obey a traffic control device(stop sign) and your insurance is already 2K per year then that one ticket will cost you 200 bucks per year for the next 3 to 4 years depending on how long your state maintains the records...

and then add the 150 to 200 for fines and court fees and you're looking at one cali drag through a stop sign costing you $1000

accidents as well as any other claim against your insurance also counts as points or "incidents"

so the real question is... is it worth it???

whats the normal daily fee for a track? 50 bucks maybe?
and you won't risk killing anyone else...

keep it on the track guys

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 10 2004, 03:25 PM
so the real question is... is it worth it???

whats the normal daily fee for a track? 50 bucks maybe?
and you won't risk killing anyone else...

keep it on the track guys

I agree 100% :thumbsup: Keep it on the track!

I'm not saying it's not tempting to take your car up to crazy fast speeds on the highway but the track is much safer plus you get a nice time slip at the end of your run without any fines or getting hauled off to jail and your car impounded ;)

I'm not saying I'm a saint by any means. I've had my share of tickets from just punching it for a couple of seconds to pass a car or just wanting to go faster than all the traffic on the road. Anyway, I'm trying to not speed on the streets and save it for the track.

One thing I wish we had in Oregon was somewhere like the salt flats where you could legally take your car up to the top speed.

Bruce

Back