radiator compatability.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

this has probably been answered somewhere at some point but I just found a 99 si radiator for $70 shipped and wanted to make sure it would fit directly into my existing radiator supports.

also, is the 99si radiator dual core? I believe the vtec del sol radiator is and would think that the si would be the same since they have the same engine.... I also have this engine which is why I wanted to pick up this radiator

thanks
Sean

yeah, my stock radiator was doing allright for the first month and a half that I had the motor in (installed over 4th of july) but toward the end of the summer it would start to overheat if I drove for long periods of time (over 10 minutes) going 80+ mph.

I replaced the thermostat but it is cold out now so I can't tell if that will fix the problem or not. But I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a dual core radiator (with less damage) and the right hose fiting size for the b16... especially for only $70

you are sure it won't fit?

Sean

U can make it fit with some modifications...movin the little feet... cuttin those other little things off that hold the plastic peice in place. I tried stuffin an integra radiator in there an it just wont go it without modification, ebay sells civic radiators new for 75 shipped spend the extra 5 dollars and uses ladder clamps like me..even if you have to buy a new radiator hose every 20k miles its just easier.

yeah, I know the del sol one would fit but I haven't found one of those yet
I was hoping the 99 si one would be the same as the del sol as far as fitment
guess I'll keep looking, as long as it's cold out I don't have any worries

thanks
Sean

I did the same swap as you, but my radiator started leaking before I swapped, replaced it with one on ebay, the is shop in TN, his website is coolradiator.com

for 120 I got an 1inch thick aluminum radiator, that was a direct bolt in, it works great, never got hot even in Florida in the summer, in grid lock

hope that helps

p.s: got my radiator the day after I ordered it

same with me, when i replaced my radiator, same next day and never leaked, i dont think i got the fan hooked up though

i dropped a dual core del sol si radiator in my 96 for $75 and it works so well i dont need my fan, so long as i dont get stuck in stop n' go traffic in the middle of the day during the middle of the summer out here in vegas...but redline makes this shit called water wetter, its fuckin great. will allow an engine to run 23 f cooler than with 50/50 antifreeze mix.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 9 2003, 09:46 PM
i dropped a dual core del sol si radiator in my 96 for $75 and it works so well i dont need my fan, so long as i dont get stuck in stop n' go traffic in the middle of the day during the middle of the summer out here in vegas...but redline makes this shit called water wetter, its fuckin great. will allow an engine to run 23 f cooler than with 50/50 antifreeze mix.

so you were able to drop a del sol radiator directly into your 96 civic?

D-series radiators will eventually fail. They aren't built or designed well enough to effectively cool and support a DOHC motor's cooling needs. My VX radiator had stress lines where fractures were bound to occur when my radiator guy and I inspected it up close. We replaced it with a unit from an Accord EX that he had laying around his shop. It took some custom mounting and we had to cut custom hoses to the correct lengths, but my needle will not move past a third up on the gauge. It's great. :D

my civic radiator has done fine so far, did have a little mishap though...im a jackass, theres another thread on it.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 10 2003, 10:46 AM
yeah, bolts right up. hoses and everything. it was beautiful.

so just to lay this out in very plain english and sort of talk it through my own head.....

you have a del sol and I know that del sol's have the same radiator mounts as 5th gen civic.....

you put a radiator in from a 96 civic which is a 6th gen same as the 99-00 si.....

it fit no problem, therefore by logical deduction a 99-00 si radiator should fit a 5th gen civic without modification.....

correct me if I am wrong on any of that

just wanted to bump this post up and see if I can get a second yes from someone as to wether a 99si radiator will drop directly into a 92 civic lx

thanks
Sean

were there any changes from 98 to 99 in the civics?
that would be the kicker

and is the 99si radiator dual core?

Back