1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

radiator fan isn't turning on..... need help

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by flyingsolo, Jul 6, 2010.

1. flyingsolo

flyingsolo New Member

My radiator fan is not turning on when i get up to the normal temp and my car is continually threatening to overheat whenever i am stopped in traffic. i tested the fan by connecting it to a battery to see if the motor was dead and that still worked, so my next step is to replace the relay for the cooling fan, but what steps do i take after that if that doesn't fix the problem? i am driving a 94 accord ex vtec 5 speed

2. 94civicturbo

94civicturbo New Member

what i did with mine is wire it up to have it on whenever the key's on

3. Imtjnotu

Imtjnotu New Member

Check the relay and the fusesfirst... I just went threw this but u need to check ur coolant temp sensor also

4. mntlkase

mntlkase Local neighborhood prick!

coolant temp sensor, fuse, thermostat, fan motor. in that order. takes 10 minutes. is usually one of those 4

5. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

I suggest you fix it....no hard wire crap. Thats a solution when money is a serious problem

6. robby j

robby j New Member

I have a 1998 Opel Corsa that keeps on blowing the temp sensor (3 in one year?). I got tired of having to wire in a bridge on the road when it quit working so I wired in a ´permanant bridge´ with a switch on my dash. Now I have a switch where I can turn on the fan before car gets too hot in traffic and in case of failure of temp sensor, I have a bridge/switch installed. Its a very nice solution to a problem. If you do it, be careful of the gauge you use to wire the switch.

7. hcivic99

hcivic99 New Member

how much did that cost you? I am having this same EXACT problem with my 99 honda civic. I would attach an aligator wire to my battery from the fan to turn it on and off everytime i went somewhere. It was a pain. Now the aligator tip burnt off! so I want to just fix it right. I had already changed the thermastat, cooling temp sensor, relay and fuses. Grrr I just want the problem fixed. Im thinking it may be the radiator fan switch now.

8. flyingsolo

flyingsolo New Member

I had someone look at the cooling temp sensor and that was fine. the thermostat was checked too along with all the fuses and the motor. the only thing i can think of is the radiator fan switch

9. flyingsolo

flyingsolo New Member

replaced it with a brand new relay at the beginning of all the problems with it

10. earlehd

earlehd New Member

Mine was wired to a switch when I got it. I need to look at all the above myself. What was your final fix?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted