Radiator Fan not spinning...simple fix?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rabinzero

Just swapped a b20 vtec engine into the 96 Civic and it runs beautifully. Put a 96 Del Sol radiator in there as well for a beefier radiator to take on the engine.

I had an issue with my original radiator fan not working on the old engine so I had a mechanic rig the fan to stay on when the car was on. I've heard tons of people do it with no issues and never had a problem. Indicator inside always said it was cool.

Since this new engine and radiator went in the radiator fan doesn't kick on at all like the old one did. It's fine when driving, the car stays cool, but if I come to a stop for longer than a minute or so that hand inside starts to go up.

Leaves me to believe it's a switch, but rather than look into getting that fixed I'd rather wire the fan to kick on when I have the car on and just stay on until the car is turned off like I did originally. Can anyone help with a detailed wiring procedure to do this? I don't really want to take it to a mechanic again if I had the info on how to do it. Appreciate anyone's help...

CLIFF NOTES - Radiator Fan does not kick on. Car runs hot when at a stop for too long. Need wiring instructions to rig the radiator fan to stay on when I turn on the car and turn off when I shut it off.

Thanks!

Not a fuse, but the 12 volt relay switch sounds like it. I'd really like to keep from going all out in getting it fixed. The fan staying on when the car is on is an easy fix if anyone could tell me the steps. Calesta, I know you could do an excellent write up. I'd even send you money via paypal for your efforts.

Just jumper the connector that goes to the temp sensor so that it's always connected. That's what I did on my Civic for a while.

Good call man. I think I'd feel safer running it up to Intercrew real quick monday after work and having them rig it real quick. I've sent Phillip and e-mail asking if it would be ok. A job that small he shouldn't have a problem doing so I hope.

Yeah, I'm sure he can take care of that for you. It's an easy fix he can take care of really fast.

Thanks Calesta for your idea. Phillip was able to knock that out in 5 minutes and very cleanly! Man that place is great! Now I run supercool and the AC can blast as much as it wants!!!

Rabinzero said:
Thanks Calesta for your idea. Phillip was able to knock that out in 5 minutes and very cleanly! Man that place is great! Now I run supercool and the AC can blast as much as it wants!!!

So what was it that was wrong? My fan doesn't seem to be working right either.

Exactly what you said. 12 volt relay switch. Just ran in it to another source for the power so it stays on when the ignition is on and goes off when the ignition is off. Easy fix and running cooler than ever.

Rabinzero said:
Exactly what you said. 12 volt relay switch. Just ran in it to another source for the power so it stays on when the ignition is on and goes off when the ignition is off. Easy fix and running cooler than ever.

That's kind of a ghetto fix tho. I finally fixed mine today.. was really simple. Picked up a 'coolant fan switch' which is a temperature sensor that goes before the Thermostat, it's 24mm, and you can get it out as long as you remove the intake duct above it. Take it out, antifreeze will pour out so make sure you have a pan underneath, then check if it looks corroded (mine looked that way), and put the new one in and hook up the harness.

That fixed my problem, I'm not sure if it'll fix yours. Hopefully your problem isn't the block sensor which is located underneath the distrubutor.. yeah it sucks to get to and I'm glad I didn't have to replace that.

Back