Radio replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gnat5680

let me start off with a little history, i am normaly an off-roader, but when my jeep brokedown and blew a head gasket i had to find another form of transportation while i fixed it. i bought a lebaron and got it running but it did not last long and also has a blown head gasket(prev. owner failed to tell me that) so i then saved up $800 and got a 92 acura integra. it is in almost mint condition and i love the thing. but thats where i need you guys.

i have my old radio from my jeep that i want to put in. i need to remove the old deck from the integra first. how do i remove the deck? do i just remove the trim screws and get thru there or do i have to have special tools?

Thanks!
-Gnat5680

If memory serves, the 92 Integra has 2 8mm Phillips bolt/screws near the back of the deck attached to a metal bracket. If you sprawl yourself on either doorsill you should be able to take a fluorescant shoplight up under and see 'em.

For the removal you'll probably need to get something called a "Skewdriver". It come in a kit like this
Skewdriver Pro.jpg
The nifty part is that the head and stock of the tool separate from the handle.

You don't remove any trim off the front. Once you get those 2 bolt/screws out, the radio should just slide out. There may or may not be a "pocket" attached to your stock deck. The mounting kit will provide for this.
Metra Online
Then you take the mounting sleeve from your aftermarket deck and slide it in and bend the tabs to secure it. A flatblade screwdriver works great for this. "It's just a flick of the wrist"

Then wire up the deck harness to the car harness adapter, and splickety-splack you'lll have tunes. Now, provided that you use crimp connectors and all your wires on either harness are the same length.... then your wiring job should end up looking like something you should have paid for. Then use some zap straps/zip ties ...the 8" thin ones work best and put about 5 of them on to your harnessing. one in the center around all the connectors and 2 on either side of that.
When you plaug the car end in.... don't jam it and bend the pins. If you don, it's a absolute bitch to straighten them out the right way.

Once everything's hooked up, thurn the key to the accessory position and check all the functions out.

Does the power antenna come on with the radio?

If your deck has separate leads for amp and antenna turn-on, then the power antenna, if working properly and present should go down when you switch over from radio to CD.

Check all your speakers. Fade it to the back and balance shift from left to right. Then fade all the way forward and do the same. test the max volume that still sounds good to you without distorting.

(Chances are, with the increased power output of the deck, you should replace any stock speakers)

Then turn the key off. Wait a "10 Misissippi" count and turn it back on. (the ACC key pos.) Yous should have all your settings the same.

I'm sure that if you're using a wire harness adapter and Dash Kit. You shouldn't have any problems.
Cheers. Email me if you have problems
dbadct@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Thank you very much for replying. i had already done the project but if i had known you had a better solution i would have gone here fist.

i ended up taking almost all of the dash apart to get to the front.the new mounting hard ware i got needed the face removed and replaced. but it all worked out well. my only question is. i have a sub. amp in my trunk and i got it all wired up to the rear preamp outputs. is the a good place to hook it up to? if not what should i connect it to?

Thank you very much for your help!

Do you mean where to hook it up for power? If so there's a harness rubber boot in behind the glove box and you take the fuse box in the engine bay off its clips to get to it and using a coat hanger with your power wire taped to it, you can poke it through.

If you're just asking about RCA's, if your amp has a crossover filter, set it to about 95 HZ so it'll only let bass through . Don't worry to much about preouts unless you have a Proprietary Sub Pre-out. That one will let you control the voltage level to the amp. This comes in habdy because not all music is recorded the same.

NOTE: Some Pioneer decks have a "selectable" Rear/Sub Pre-out that is accessible through the user menu. Some models you have to have the key one, and the deck turned off. You then access the menu through either the "FUNC" or "AUDIO" buttons by holding it down.

Hope it works out for ya;)

Back