RAM for my new Apple G5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey guys,

I know a few of you have macs as well (masseyracer I think...cant remember)......

My question is:

I want to upgrade my ram a bit.....maybe another 1-2GB's considering I have 8 DIMM's to fill.

Price is the issue..... Crucial, Apple, and others are Muy Expensiveo... like $388cdn. for a 1GB upgrade. Now some of these e-bay places like MacRamDirect sell 2GB kits for like $320cdn. including shipping to Canada. Are these RAM modules any good? They have the normal "dis is TeH BesT ShiT E*VeR!!!!!" feedback like every e-bay power seller, but any word on the quality?

here is a link to what I am looking for:

2GB RAM for Dual 2.0 G5

What do you think?

Well, that could be like a lot of companys, they buy the same parts from the same place in bulk, and put it together themselves, slap a sticker on it and boom. Corsair select is great for the price, a lot of people will go with that over "gamer" RAM, because it is stable and cheap. I have a GB along with a GB of MDT and it is error free on memtest for days. Oh, and a GB is around $100.

Do not fuck with cheap ram on a mac! It is much different from a PC. Go with Lifetime of Crucial. I work at an independant authorized Apple Dealer and service center. From what we have seen, the wrong ram on an Apple can do much more than prevent your computer from turning on, such as corupting data. There is specific ram for macs, and I cannot recommend it enough. In the 4 years we have been dealing Lifetime Memory we have only sent back 4 sticks of ram, and had no further problems other than the ram.
Let me put it this way, we had a customer come in with a 17" Powerbook, from MacMall. They put in 1GB of ram in the computer, the ram was bad, causing the computer to boot improperly, and crashed the system on the computer causing the customer to loose all data on the drive. Now this is the worst case senario, and in my 14 years of dealing with Apple computers this is the worst I have seen.
Check out Crucial they have a good garuntee.

Back