Random Misfire D16y7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMEK433

Hi,
I have a 96 civic hatch with a d16y7 with 146k miles. I was driving on the highway, no signs of an issue at all, and my CEL started blinking. Shortly after it blinked 2 more times and then my cat started making a thunking sound. I also noticed a significant loss of power (couldnt get over 55mph).

Codes:
P0302 cyl 2 misfire
P0303 cyl 3 misfire
P0304 cyl 4 misfire
P1300 manufacturer ignition control / random misfire

I replaced plugs, wires, cap & rotor: codes came back after 15 miles.

I replaced the igniter (with a used one my friend had lying around): drove over 150 miles in one trip (mostly highway ~75mph) no signs of an issue or anything until I pulled a steep hill after 155miles of driving and the CEL started blinking again and I noticed a loss of power. (drove ~20 miles or so after that, drove better than the first time it happened, slight miss, but no cat issues)

I just noticed the battery terminals are extremely loose. I could lift them off with no resistance at all. I replaced those the other day, started it up and it idled smoother than ever, no sign of a miss. I'm gonna take it for a spin today and see how it goes.

I also got a new distributor (haven't installed yet) i'm gonna wait until I see if the terminals were the issue.

If it's not the terminals or the distributor, does anyone have any idea what it could be? I don't want to put anymore unnecessary money into it that isn't going to fix the problem. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I just drove it, and i still feel the miss, CEL didn't come back but I only drove like 5 or 6 miles. That means it wasn't the terminals. Gonna put the distributor on later today or tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll have to see if I can find an ECU to try. Thanks for the tip

My buddy has a 97 civic HX with a d16y5, would that ECU work with my y7?

I believe it will, I know it won't mess up anything, Just check the ecu numbers.. It might just have different maps in it..

The HX is non-vtec but yes it could have a slightly different fuel map but won't affect anything major just gas mileage..

well before I try the ECU (cuz i'll have to buy one) I'm going to put on the dizzy (one i got was a defect so i have to wait for a new one), replace fuel filter, clean injectors, check head gasket, check fuel pump and check for vacuum leaks. It pisses me off that it can be so many things causing this lol. ntm this is the second time its happpend to me... my old lude did it and i did everything, even a new engine, and it never went away.

Back