Ranger overheating...Sport Trac cluster at fault????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
i recently installed a set of gauges out of a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac in my 1995 Ford Ranger Splash with the 3.0L v6. after i installed the gauges, the temperature needle goes to the HOT and when i cut the truck off it stays in same position where i cut the truck off (it wont drop down to COLD like normal). when i installed the gauges , the needle was buried in the hot position i noticed. starting the truck when the truck is cold (ie hasnt been running for awhile), the needle will go from where the reading it was last at, drop down to the normal range and then as im driving it will go to HOT and the CHECK GAGE lights pops on. none of this happened when i had the stock gauges in the truck. ive added oil, checked the antifreeze and the gas as recommended in the owners manual in my truck and all is fine. could the Sport Trac cluster be setup different? im not sure what engine the Sport Trac had that the cluster came from. should i put the stock gauges back in because it wasnt doing it before i did the cluster swap?? ive got a 500 mile trip im making in a week with the truck and i need to resolve this issue ASAP. thanks for the help!!

I'd put the stock gauges back in and see if the temp gauge does the same thing...more than likely the new cluster is fuct.

cluster fucked. lol

i'd say that's the problem... check coolant, does the fan come on? is the relay hooked up right? is that gauge connected properly?

yeah. i just found out that the temp. sender in the gauge cluster is different because the Sport Trac has the 4.0L in where as my truck has a 3.0L in it. maybe i can just swap out the faces??

Back